Process to open pool w/ Spa

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
So, we are thinking about opening our pool ourselves this year rather than paying $400+ to someone to do something that seems pretty straight forward. Our pool has an attached spa. Since we have a mesh cover, water has accumulated in the spa as well as the pool. Since it will still be pretty cool out when I look to open it, I am hoping to not have to get into the spa to remove the drain plugs before starting the opening process. Would it be possible remove the pool skimmer gizzmo's and return plugs, put the plugs in the pump, place the valves in pool mode and then vacuum the water out of the spa before removing the plugs on the spa? Are there any risks to this and should I just plan to hop in to the cold water or buy a portable submersible pump to pump out the spa?

Thanks for the help!

If you turn the spa off completely that approach will be fine. Remember that many pools are setup to always send some water to the spa, even when in pool mode, for a spill over. If you have that setup you will need to disable it until the spa is ready.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.