370 V / 440 V Run Capacitor

Jul 25, 2010
AO Smith motor blew the run cap. Noted 440V. I had a 370 V from the old Challeneger so I put that in. Have ordered a 440 V from Grainger but find it odd that AO Smith with same HP and Voltage as the Challenger needs a 440V. I wonder if it was just those they had on the shelf duing motor manufacture. I'll play by the rules but I bet the 370 will be fine. We will never know provided it lasts until Monday, which I'm sure it will. If it blows I'll be sure to post back.

Reactions: cmc0619
The voltage rating should be at least √2 x the intended voltage. Assuming a maximum voltage of 250 volts, the capacitor minimum rating should be 354 volts. So, 370 volts should be fine. 440 is a better quality capacitor and will last longer, especially under high temperature conditions, but the 370 volt should be fine.

aah! got it. Thanks for the response. I've gone ahead and ordered anyway but that makes me feel more confident I'm not going to mess anything up. It was strange because both the Challenger Pool and Spa motors used the 370. The pool motor went about 4 years ago and that's when I sourced the AO Smith but with the same HP rating.

Thanks for the response!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.