New Member/ Pool Care Giver

AGT

Jun 29, 2011
Hello All-

I recently moved into a house with an in-ground plaster pool. Not real sure on the gallons just yet. No diving board and its 4 at the shallow and 8 at the deep. I am guessing 20-30k. Either way, we just had to replace the filter (an old Triton fiberglass) due to the enclosure blowing and leaving me a nice pressure relief valve mark above my eye. Put a new Triton II in and its priming better now that the pump basket has a new o-ring. Got a Kreepy Kruiser and just trying to convince the wife on the BBB method. She believes using bleach will fade the swim suits. I told her its not like we are using a 50/50 mix. Either way. Somethings I do know about it is the pump and booster pump (main pump is a switch-less 2.25 hp)

Any ideas on convincing her on the bleach method (besides throwing her in and asking if she smells bleach)

Welcome to TFP!

You could point out that there are almost 23,000 members here who believe in it. If she's scientifically inclined at all, you can point out that all forms of chlorine end up in the same state once they are added to the water.

I have a pair of trunks that are at least 6 years old that I've never rinsed after swimming. Either hung up when they come out of the pool or through the laundry. They are teal, and show almost no age at all (except style) after all that time.

Glad the valve missed your eye.

Take the Clorox bottle and work through the math. Away from home or I'd help. Assume 30 gallon washing machine, add a cup of 6% bleach. Pool Calculator may do this, try it. Then find how much bleach you'd put in same 30 gallons at 4 ppm or whatever your pool will have. If it turns out to be a tablespoon in the wash, she may relax.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anonapersona said:
Take the Clorox bottle and work through the math. Away from home or I'd help. Assume 30 gallon washing machine, add a cup of 6% bleach. Pool Calculator may do this, try it. Then find how much bleach you'd put in same 30 gallons at 4 ppm or whatever your pool will have. If it turns out to be a tablespoon in the wash, she may relax.

OK you got me curious, so I ran the #'s:

8 oz of 6% bleach in 30 gallons gives FC of 129ppm!!!

In a 20,000 gallon pool you would have to add 42 gallons of 6% bleach to get to a FC of 129ppm.

Assuming a pool is "typically" around 4ppm ... in a 30 gallon washing machine you would only add 0.25oz or 1/2 tablespoon of 6% bleach to get FC of 4ppm.

I read that a proposed federal standard for chlorine in drinking water is a max of 4ppm ... if it is safe to drink you would think it is safe to put your clothes in.

ETA: Of course getting them to understand that the 4ppm is needed independant of the chlorine source and that bleach is the same chemical will still be a challenge.

ETA2: And of course this ignores the fact that in the pool there is stabilizer holding some of the FC in reserve. So FC 4ppm in a pool with stabilizer is less "potent" than 4ppm in a washing machine with no stabilizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.