Benefits to the Speedstir for the Tf-100

Thanks for confirming that it is in fact always supposed to spin.... mine works great when it does.... when it doesn't.... not so great. I was actually lamenting the purchase, but judging from all the other reviews, I'll love it if/when I get it to work properly.

RCDuck said:
Thanks for confirming that it is in fact always supposed to spin.... mine works great when it does.... when it doesn't.... not so great. I was actually lamenting the purchase, but judging from all the other reviews, I'll love it if/when I get it to work properly.
If the stir bar does that hop thing instead of spinning, the batteries are getting weak.

beezar said:
I another extremely convenient device is the Taylor Sample Sizer Measuring tool. (You'll need the correct size test tubes that come with it... one test tube comes with the speedstir). Saves so much time.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... artID=2301

I've seen those and NEED to get one, I just wasn't sure it would do both the 25ml and the 10ml.

As has been said - the Speed-Stir is a MUST! (if you can afford it and are ordering from Dave anyway :) )

Well, I was one of the doubters conerning the need or usefulness of the "SpeedStir". But I finally broke down and ordered one when I ordered ned chemicals for my TF-100 kit. I did not use it when I first got it, I ccontinued mixing by hand. I was working on lowering my TA and testing my CH and was not getting the numbers I was expecting. So I got off my lazy butt and used the SpeedStir. This is a fantastic little helper! My TA and Ch both came in lower. The light and the constant mixing provides much better results than manual mixing. It is much easier to see the color changing with this device. If you're like me, you can get kinda sloppy conducting these tests over and over. This is a must have for your test kit. Try it, you'll like it. Mikey did! :party:
Duk

Richard320 said:
If the stir bar does that hop thing instead of spinning, the batteries are getting weak.

Changed from the supplied generic batteries to new Duracell batteries and it works like a charm!!! Now I can agree with everyone else that it is a great tool/toy.

waste said:
beezar said:
I another extremely convenient device is the Taylor Sample Sizer Measuring tool. (You'll need the correct size test tubes that come with it... one test tube comes with the speedstir). Saves so much time.

I've seen those and NEED to get one, I just wasn't sure it would do both the 25ml and the 10ml.

As has been said - the Speed-Stir is a MUST! (if you can afford it and are ordering from Dave anyway :) )

Yup, the Sample Sizer Measuring tool does both 25 and 10 ml. Just make sure you get the correct test tubes with it. And it really takes literally 2 seconds to get the perfect amount of water needed in the tube... no flicking, no water droppers, no refilling after you get rid of too much water. piece-o-cake

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
beezar said:
waste said:
beezar said:

Yup, the Sample Sizer Measuring tool does both 25 and 10 ml. Just make sure you get the correct test tubes with it. And it really takes literally 2 seconds to get the perfect amount of water needed in the tube... no flicking, no water droppers, no refilling after you get rid of too much water. piece-o-cake
As a cheaper Alternative I use a 25 ml syringe. You can perfectly add 10 or 25 ml and get it exact easily and quickly. :goodjob: n

I am kinda of confused.

With TF100 I measure FC every evening - normally ~ 3ppm which I then add chlorine to get to 6ppm. If I do this I don't need to shock - TA is ~80-90 which I test every week or so. CH ~ 240 - so I don't test often.

How would the Speedstir help me - everyone seems to love it - but ~ 6 drops every evening of the FC test isn't really a big deal.

The tests I find a little harder to gauge accurately PH (using the TF100 block) and CYA (again TF100) wouldn't seem to get any help ):

Vandergraff said:
I am kinda of confused.

With TF100 I measure FC every evening - normally ~ 3ppm which I then add chlorine to get to 6ppm. If I do this I don't need to shock - TA is ~80-90 which I test every week or so. CH ~ 240 - so I don't test often.

How would the Speedstir help me - everyone seems to love it - but ~ 6 drops every evening of the FC test isn't really a big deal.

The tests I find a little harder to gauge accurately PH (using the TF100 block) and CYA (again TF100) wouldn't seem to get any help ):

The biggest plus of the speed stir is that you are sure to get accurate results. The speed stir will make sure your testing gets mix throughly and not have to worry if you mixed it enough by hand. Well worth the investment to me and many others here.

But on the other side if you feel your test are accurate and you dont mind holding tube in one hand, drop with other, shake with hand holding tube you will be fine. I thought the same thing and ordered it and I was like wow this makes things a lot easier to make sure I get accurate results.

Even though you only go through 6 drops, it could be different if your sample is not getting mixed enough.

It is one of those things you have to have to appreciate it. I have also heard from duraleigh (dave) on the board he thought it was a gimmick at first. He then started to sell them and tried it out and loves it.

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday (along with a new Borate drop based test - check in Chem 201 if you need a Borate test kit).

At first it didn't work - I tested the batteries and they were all 1.6 volts - more than enough. After removing and re-inserting the batteries several times, it suddenly started working. I hope there's not a loose connection or something.

One thing that I DON'T like, is that it auto stops after one minute. My calcium test takes much longer than that, by the time I add the 20 drops at the start, it's been over a minute...

Other than that, it made testing way easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.