30k pool, mulling over circu rj45 plus. Will it do or should I do the 60?

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Before people say "do the 60", There's a substantial discount on the 45 (880) vs the 1400 for the 60. I also have a variable speed pump that runs 24/7 (usually on very low flow except for 3 hours where it's higher to get the booster pump running for the polaris, this is daily.

Normally the pump is at 750 rpm and then 1700 for the booster pump. It can go up well past 2500 (intelliflo variable speed). I understand that the swg requires a certain amount of flow to operate (which may require me to setup a 4 time a day 1 hour schedule to run at an adequate flow for the chlorinator). My question is would the 45 do for a 30k gallon pool running theoretically 4 times a day (dramatic scenario but that's probably the worst case, most likely the flow will be enough to get the clorinator to run nearly 24/7 or as much as needed).

My general worry is that I would have to run the pool pump at 1500+ rpm 24/7 to get the chlorinator to work (only reason I care is that less rpm, less to the electrical bill).

I might be over analyzing this. My intention is the one run where the swg will go will have a flow measurer and backflow stop section, a puck dispenser (for emergency puck usage, and also to connect my stenner pump that will be adding muriatic acid to the pool daily to both drop the PH, as well as clean the swg (my guestimate is an ounce a day will do it) a vertical pipe section for the swg (its sold on circu's website for 30 bucks).

My cost for the whole deal would be around 1k total (the rj45 plus, the extra pipes, the 50 to 100 lbs of salt, the anode. I have the rest.

I currently spend about 60 dollars on chlorine a month (3 dollar a gallon clorine, I run through about 20 gallons monthly (higher because of summer)).

P,

We always recommend to get a SWCG that is at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So, it appears to me that you need to 60K unit.

For reference I have to run my system at 1200 rpm to ensure that the flow switch is closed. I doubt you can run less than 1000 rpm. But, even at 1200 rpm, it still costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I agree with Jim on the SWCG size. The issue I see is being able to generate enough chlorine in the summer during the daylight hours to combat the FC loss due to sunlight and bather load. With the 45K unit you would need to run it at 100% for 18 hours a day, at least. And thus your FC loss during the daylight hours could exceed your chlorine generation by the SWCG during the same time period.

It may work most of the year, but during prime pool season, it could be an issue with the smaller unit.

Take care.

If you look at my pool details below, you will notice that we have a Cirrcupool 55 on a 33,000 gallon pool in a suburb of Dallas. The only thing about it......I wish it was bigger. From the middle of June until the middle of September, the SWCG ran 13 hours a day to keep the pool chlorinated. I don't think that 4, one hour runs, even with the 60 will come anywhere close to being enough. It wouldn't be on mine.

Bryan

Before people say "do the 60", There's a substantial discount on the 45 (880) vs the 1400 for the 60

the price on discountsaltpools is only $1280 and I found it on ebay for $1199. Where are you seeing $1400? People on this site tout discountsaltpools customer service so I'm not sure what you would get with ebay but that's at least $120 better.... You make a lot of that $$$ back by not having to replace your cell as often and you can run your pump less.

the price on discountsaltpools is only $1280 and I found it on ebay for $1199. Where are you seeing $1400? People on this site tout discountsaltpools customer service so I'm not sure what you would get with ebay but that's at least $120 better.... You make a lot of that $$$ back by not having to replace your cell as often and you can run your pump less.

Discount salt pools just had an upgrade sale that ended. Buy the model below what you want and pay 20 for an upgrade so it was 1199. That's my benchmark price to watch for in the future. I wouldn't buy this off eBay.

Discount Pools offers varying discounts through out the year. Best ones I saw were early last summer (admittedly when I started paying attention). Given where we are at in the season (my pool was at 76 yesterday), it might make best sense to watch and wait. I would bet during the winter months sales slow greatly and discounts may be more prevalent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.