How much wattage per hr does a Hayward Super 2 pump use?

oh I see ok thanks for clarifying.

I like the idea of running a 1hp 2 speed at low rpm. Might be a better choice in future however the ecostar is very flexible. Now I understand it all a little better. thanks guys. :goodjob:

so probably best to recommend to clients something like a Hayward TriStar Full-Rated Energy Efficient Dual-Speed 1HP pump..much cheaper to purchase and like you say will pay itself off faster. also swg's need a certain rpm to function properly. also I think heat pumps also need a certain flow rate.

Just one last question...can these 2 speed pumps run 24/7..not that I would run them just wondering..

Thanks. :cool:

Sure, any pool pump can run 24/7. Running a 2 speed on low 24/7 makes more sense than running a single speed on low, because you need to run them twice as long anyway. But even so, 24/7 is probably more than you actually need to run them.

JasonLion said:
Sure, any pool pump can run 24/7. Running a 2 speed on low 24/7 makes more sense than running a single speed on low, because you need to run them twice as long anyway. But even so, 24/7 is probably more than you actually need to run them.

yeah just was thinking about in the winter time when using a heat pump they tend to be more effecient when run 24/7..keeps the temp ..otherwise if not on for a few hours or so water cools and heat pump needs to work harder to get water temp back up.

mas985 said:
60 month study period
60 months for the life of a pool pump is fairly typical. However, under ideal conditions, the pump can last much longer. If the pump is in a clean and properly ventilated pool equipment room, it can last 10 years or more.

Running mostly on lower speeds, the pump generates less heat and suffers less stress. I would think that the Intelliflo or the EcoStar could get 10 years or more under good conditions. Also, their permanent magnet motors should generate much less heat than standard induction motors.

Another issue with a two speed pump is that it might not generate enough flow on low speed for the heater SWG etc. With a variable speed pump, you can set the flow rate to meet the needs of the equipment.

I agree that the life of ANY pump would likely exceed 60 months. The "default" study period of 60 months was chosen for a couple of reasons. First, some people close their pools and don't run their pumps 365 days of year so 60 months of run time doesn't necessarily mean 5 years of life. For someone who runs 6 months out of the year, 60 months IS 10 years or someone who runs the pump only 3 months out the year, it is 20 years of life. Run time is not the only factor in a pump's life. Time outdoors can also impact the life of the pump. Second, I think a variable should start paying dividends well before end of life so I use 60 months as a default time period but the OP is welcome to download the SS and put in any number they want.

I have the equivalent of the smallest two speed pump on the market today and on low speed it produces around 35 GPM which is more than enough than enough for the SWG. As for the heater, it really doesn't matter as the controller forces high speed for the heater which it should. Running a heater on low flow rates is less efficient and produces a much hotter water exit temperature. Plus I only use my heater for the spa so running on high speed for that is not an issue.

However if someone really wanted to use their heater on low speed say for the pool, they could just choose a pump that would deliver the appropriate flow rate. For example with my plumbing and a 1 HP two speed, the flow rate on low speed would be about 44 GPM which is more than enough for my heater.

I agree that a VS is much more flexible than a two speed and if a pool owner needs the flexibility then a VS is a good choice. However, if a PO is only choosing a VS for the energy savings, it may not be the only choice nor the most cost effective choice.

All the following reading where taken with a clamp amp meter.

I had a single speed 1.5 hp pump that drew 18.6 amps. I replaced it with the EcoStar about 2 weeks ago. Running the the Ecostar at 2500 rpm gives close to the old pump flow ( I can tell by the pressure at a fountain) it draws 6 amps. Running the EcoStar on the 1750 speed draws 2.6 amps. We use our pool at least 8 months or more a year. My electric cost is .11 KWH.

So here is what I figured out for my cost to run 10 hours what I count as a day.

Old Pump $ 2.25
EcoStar 2500 rpm $ .73
EcoStar 1750 rpm $ .32

So for running it close to old flow I save $1.52 a day.

90% of the time I now run it at 1750 rpm for 14 hours at a cost of $ .45 a day saving $1.80 a day.
Cost of pump delivered was $906
Old pump was 15 years old.
It’s hard for me to figure a scenario that would take longer than 2 years for payback.
Anyone see errors in my numbers????

Have a jetted spa so I need the upper end of the pump for that.

Measuring with an amp meter will not give correct results. You need to measure with a power meter. One way to do that is with your utility meter.

You also need to take into account that the EcoStar run on lower speeds needs to be run significantly longer to move the same amount of water than you would run on higher speeds.

The savings are substantial, but I don't think they are nearly as high as what you calculated.

Thanks for all the info guys. Is there much difference between a 1HP and 1.5HP dual speed pump like the Hayward TriStar? I have a few pools running a regular Hayward Super Pump 1HP and want to save some money. Will need to run SWG and HeatPro on the low speed.

Many thanks.

JasonLion said:
The difference in power usage on low speed is far smaller than the difference on high speed.

Thanks Jason. Yes just would like to run it on low speed mostly. Both pumps are around the same price. do you know what rpm the low speed is? also flow rate? I've been searching but can't find any info on it. maybe I'm missing it..been looking through the manual and all..

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mikespoolfl said:
All the following reading where taken with a clamp amp meter.

I had a single speed 1.5 hp pump that drew 18.6 amps. I replaced it with the EcoStar about 2 weeks ago. Running the the Ecostar at 2500 rpm gives close to the old pump flow ( I can tell by the pressure at a fountain) it draws 6 amps. Running the EcoStar on the 1750 speed draws 2.6 amps.
:
Anyone see errors in my numbers????
The 18.6 amps for the single speed 1.5 H.P pump must have been at 120 volts and the EcoStar is at 240 volts. That creates a 2X error in power calculations.

I agree with Jason I've seen my house voltage anywhere from 108 to 124 volts. Then add in power factor and there could be a difference. I guess were are looking at a snapshot when what is happening is a movie.

Most AC multi-meters measure RMS voltage and currents for AC waveforms. As long as the waveform is sinusoidal, then the meter will measure the correct volts and amps. However, a standard multi-meter will not measure the phase difference between volts and amps so for an AC waveform, the real power may be less than just volts*amps. The cosine of the angle between the voltage and current waveforms is called power factor. For an induction motor, the voltage and amperage waveforms are slightly out of phase due to the inductive load. So the real power draw for an inductive motor is:

Real power = Volts * Amps * Cosine (Phase Difference) = Volts * Amps * Power Factor

If you can measure the power factor, you can calculate the real power. Otherwise, the best thing to do is use the house power meter.

However for a variable speed motor, I would expect the voltage and amperage phase difference to be near zero because the input to the VS is the drive and the first stage of the drive is an AC to DC converter so there should be very little inductance or capacitance to shift the amp curve. So for a variable speed motor, I would expect that the real power is close to volts * amps as long as the voltage and amperage is measured at the input to the drive.

friends and family have installed ted on several homes, check out the live demo from About Ted

if using firefox Ctrl+ or Ctrl- gives you appropriate zoom factor.

makes it very simple to monitor down to the second resolution of power use(d) for any system

my ted unit sends reports each day, unattended and automatically via web to my email or I can query it via the home router if traveling on the road.

Aquatica said:
I have one client call me up the other day worrying that I have their 3/4hp hayward pump running 12hrs per day. even if its using around 1.4kwph it would only be using costing him $1,575 to run it per yr.

Sounds like a lot of money to me. That's over $130 a month.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.