Dirt shooting through returns

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
When I switch my pump into high speed, it looks like there is dirt shooting through the returns for about 5 seconds. I only use high speed for priming the pump after cleaning the strainer basket, and sometimes for vacuuming. The filter does a great job keeping the water sparkling clear, even with the considerable amount of debris I get in the pool. I'm not sure when the sand was last changed, if it ever has. Is there anything I should try before removing all the sand and inspecting the internals?

I just heard today that I will have the next 4 days off from work :cool: so, I went out to the pumphouse and opened up the filter to clean as suggested. I stuffed the garden hose in the sand bed and cranked it up, and WOW :shock: there was a TON of nasty stuff in the filter! I kept the hose going for about 2 hours, moving around every 10 minutes or so, until the overflowing water was clear whenever I moved the hose. Did a decent job of flooding the pumphouse and the yard behind it. Looking at the nasty crud that seemed to never stop coming out of my filter, I find it hard to belive the previous owners EVER properly backwashed the filter, let alone clean it like I just did :grrrr: After doing this, it probably would have been easier/less mess, to just change the sand, but I probably spent a buck or two on water as opposed to about $50 on new sand. Plus, sitting out there cleaning the filter was a good excuse for a few :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.