30 foot round solar cover

My vote is always for the cheapest, especially for an above ground if you are removing it by hand VS reel.

The above ground oval we inherited with a move had a solar cover. I ripped the snot out of it removing it by myself the first time. It was a heavy 15×30 16 mil cover and would have been expensive to replace.

Go cheap and thin to make it easier to manage. The thicker ones don't stop any more evaporation than the thin ones. The manufacturers claim the 'clear' (hideous milky white) covers create heat but they don't. They just call attention to their ugliness any last time you spot the pool out of the corner of your eye, like the entire time you are mowing the back yard. A blue cover fools you that there is beautiful blue pool over there. If you look directly at it, only then do you realize it's a cover and not the pool.

Coincidentally, if I ever get a safety cover again, it will be blue for the exact same reasons. The green trampoline / tennis court looked too out of place. Maybe gray would look like a nice patio from afar as well.

Last edited:
I was helping a member yesterday and I saw a clear one claiming it made up to 10 degrees a day. Thats just utterly ridiculous. It *stops* 5-7 degrees of heat loss through evaporation either when it's windy or overnight, so tomorrow you see it as a 'gain'. It was awesome on the weeks that just needed to take a little edge off. It was entirely moot when the pool was 65 but should have been 60.

They also reduce daily FC loss, which everyone likes.

They work awesome to their ability. The weather will decide if the ability matters this week or not. (y)

Reactions: dozer11
I agree to go with a cheaper, lighter one. No matter what price i've paid over the last 12 years, I only get 2 seasons out of mine. When I tried to get the third year, the plastic disinegrates and I have blue plastic pieces floating in the water. I also have a 30 foot round and the heavier weight ones are just to heavy for me to take off by myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.