30 foot above ground pool on clay soil question

Jul 19, 2018
Oran, MO.
Hello all,

I am new to forum and wanted to get some suggestions. We recently put up a 30' x 54" above ground pool up. We had to dig out about 3 foot of dirt from the hill to make a level spot. We found that the soil that far in, is nothing but clay and holds water terribly but we proceeded anyway. We put pavers under each upright and had the ground within a 1/2 inch from level. The pool went up fine with sand as the floor base and cove. After getting the pool up, we could immediately see that one side (the side that seems to stay wet longer) had already settled almost two inches. At that point we were just going to live with it until next spring and fix it then.

We then had a huge rain storm that brought 6 or so inches of rain overnight, causing the low side of the pool to overflow while we were sleeping. The next morning when I came out to drain some of the excess water from the pool, I could see one of the post had moved out and let the wall begin to roll under. I started to drain the pool immediately because of safety issues. So here we are with a brand new pool that is empty and I am starting all over.

My question is: What would be the best plan of attack on getting this clay to not be an issue? I have a load of 1/2" minus gravel coming today with the plan of building a foot tall retaining wall around the pool and filling it in with the 1/2" minus and then renting a compacter to pack it down over the next week or so. Then laying my pavers down and using foam as a base this time. Does this sound like it will work? Any suggestions?

I've been reading a lot on the web and have seen several places - you need to put in a french drain system to move the water away from the base of the pool.
Doughboy Inground Installation - Part 5 of 6 - YouTube
This could be used for semi-inground or buried pool, so I think something like this could work for your pool on the hill side.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have installed a french drain but the issue is the water that fell onto the clay soil directly, not the run-off from the hillside. The soil became saturated causing the clay to become mush and let the paver stones to sink. I had 16 tons of 1/4 inch minus delivered and I am going to build a 2 foot wall to hold the gravel in place. I will let everyone know how it works.

Thanks for you help though

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.