NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I know, I haven't even closed for the winter yet, and I'm already planning ahead! I'm going to redo my pad next spring. I plan to replace this single-speed clunker with a VSP and add a heat pump.

As you can see in the photo below, my pool was built with separate valves for the skimmer feed & the main drains. These work fine although they're somewhat difficult to turn. Is there any benefit to replacing these with a 3-way? From looking at everyone else's photos, it seems that a 3-way would be more standard to use here, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason for that.

Also for the main drain feeder, which goes high up into the air before coming back down: my pad is "downhill" of the pool. The pump is slightly below the level of the main drains. This configuration puts the cleanout well above the height of the drains (in fact it's up around the water level). This was obviously done deliberately by the builder, probably so you can open the cleanout without all 10,000 gallons rushing at you. I assume I should keep it that way? The big downside is that the unsupported vertical pipe is really wobbly, and I'm worried about stress on the pipe in high winds.

20201005_134109.jpg

Diverter valves come in 2-way and 3-way configurations. You can replace your three ball valves with 2-way diverter valves. At least it looks like your builder used good ball valves with unions that can be disassembled and repaired when they get sticky.

I don't know why you need a clean out on that long pipe. And dfrom the angle of the pic I can;t really see how the pipes connect to the pump.

Last edited:
Those ball valves have a very limited lifespan, and become difficult or impossible to operat. Replace them with proper pool valves, like Jandy NeverLub.

Thanks, here are a couple more pics at different angles. What would you recommend, replace these valves with separate Jandy valves or replace the whole thing with a 3-way? And honestly I don't know why he did it this way with the clean-out, but I assume he had a reason. :)

20200906_144752.jpg

20201005_134136.jpg

I would replace each ball valve with a 2-way diverter valve. That will let you air lock each line individually when winterizing them.

Reactions: riny
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.