3 way Solar valve using 90 degree actuator?

rlab

Oct 4, 2019
Australia
Hi,

My PB has setup the motorized solar 3 way valve using a 90 degree actuator instead of the normal 180 actuator. i.e. instead of the inlet being at the "bottom" of the T, it is coming in from the side. Hence the need to use a 90 actuator to switch between the outlets.

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? In this case it was just because plumbing space was tight, and doing it at 90 worked better than the normal 180 layout.

Thanks

OK thanks good to know. I'm curious if there is any reason why the "normal" 3 way setup is using a 180 actuation with inlet on the bottom of the T?

The nice thing about using inlet on the side with a 90 actuation is the motor is only on for half as long to open/close... Hopefully that increases the lifetime!

Way back when someone picked the T configuration and it became the normal standard.

R,

While I completely agree with Allen, that it should not matter, how about sending as a pic of the plumbing in that area so we can make sure..

As long as the valve sends the water into the solar system or by-passes the solar system, it should work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Don't have access for photo right now, but below is a simple schematic of how the 3 way valve is setup (not showing other check valves etc).

The actuator rotates 90 degrees, adjusting the off position between A (sends flow to pool) and B (sends flow to solar).

Any issues with this? The only reason this threw me was I had always previously seen 3 way valves setup with inlet on the bottom of the T.

solar layout.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gravity creates a certain amount of head. The remainder of the return loop (including eyeballs etc) also creates head.

Depending on the ratio between the 2, isn't it possible that some of the flow will divert up into the panels?

spasepq.gif

You can use one if you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.