3 Phase DC Motor

The controller converts 240 volt single phase into 3 phase power.

You have to be able to supply the correct 3-phase (AC) power with the correct voltage and frequency.

The frequency determines the motor RPM.

I don't know if the voltage is a fixed value or if it changes depending on the RPM.

You can get an aftermarket variable speed motor and controller from Century or Nidec.

1631725976594.png

Inside the controller, the voltage is converted into DC and then it is converted into digital 3-phase AC.

So, the voltage is DC inside the controller but the output is AC, which is what the motor uses.

Even if you have 3-phase available at your residence, which most people do not, you would still need the correct voltage and frequency.

So, it’s unlikely that you will be able to run the motor without a controller.

Yes you can use your 3 phase motor if you purchase a VFD that is matched up to your motor. There are a jillion of them out there. The VFD will convert your single phase (120 or 240) to DC then back to three phase to supply the motor. It is a cheap way to get VS. I run my 3 phase at 30 hz or less and bump it to 60 hz when i vac or backwash.

Reactions: willygee
Thanks for the info guys, , , I’m new to all this so forgive me if I ask newby question lol I been ready a lot about these green motors but the pump part got token out by a bad bearing. I’ve replaced the bearings and have tried the drive and motor with no pump but still has the error message still is on there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.