Herald, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
First question is regarding my spa. Do I have to get in and pick all the settlement out of the bottom of my spa by hand? There's gotta be an easier way?

Second question is regarding my steps and cabo deck. A lot of sand tends to settle up here. My pool cleaner doesn't make it more than a few inches up the curved bottom of my pool so obviously it isn't making it up the steps or onto the cabo deck. Do I have to just keep brushing that constantly? Shouldn't my filter handle this?

And my third question goes along with my second. It might be hard to see but the racer only goes up a few inches from the floor and while I am diligently brushing my tiles and walls it appears the walls are just slightly tinted a dirty color.

Now this is a brand new install and long story with my contractor and "pool startup" guy but the startup guy sorta screwed me and my contractor and at this point I just want to take care of it myself because I'm sick of people I don't know being in my backyard (project got started last October). It took almost 60 days from its first fill to get salt and some muriatic acid added to it to get levels somewhat reasonable. I've been reading a lot and getting barely up to speed thanks to TFP. So I guess I'm just looking for advice on what area I should tackle first and how to go about it. I brush the pools daily, sometimes 3 or 4 times (it's kinda therapeutic for me lol) The water is crystal clear (working on spa - finally learned about the 'spillway circuit)

I have a cheap 5-way test kit (yes @mguzzy - I AM ordering the TFTestKit) so I don't know my CYA level (assuming that means cyanuric acid?)
Most recent results for that (yesterday) is:
FC: 2.5 - 3 0
CC: 2.5 - 3.0
pH: 8.0
Alkalinity: 100ppm

I have a Pentair CCP520 filter (4 paper filters)and I cleaned those filters at about 40 days because it's a brand new build. (Another question there - it says it's suitable for fresh water pool only. Is a SWG pool considered fresh water?)

Running:
Intelliflo VSF pump (AT 1750RPM)
Intellichlor IC-40 SWG
Pentair Boost-rite pump for the Pentair Racer cleaner.
Auxiliary pump for separate waterfall

Oh, one more detail that might be important: the equipment pad is next to the house, approximately 5ft above the pool level (spa is level with equipment)

20210412_103925.jpg20210412_104505.jpg20210412_105407.jpg

1).. I have a similar sort of arrangement with my spa.. yeah big stuff you will have to pick out, then I brush and turn the spa suction on so it sucks in fine debris into the fitlter.

2) Probably need to just brush your deck every now and then. Once a week should be fine, but if you need more therapy, go for it.

3) hmm.. can you post a pic of the dirty?

4) Yes CYA is cyanuric acid

5) Those filters are fine for a SWG pool, you can probably go a whole season on one cleaning. I clean mine twice a year, at the beginning of the swim season and again at the end. Some people clean them once a year.

6)
Running:
Intelliflo VSF pump (AT 1750RPM)
Intellichlor IC-40 SWG
Pentair Boost-rite pump for the Pentair Racer cleaner.
Auxiliary pump for separate waterfall
Put this in your signature. it perfect!...

See you had more than 3 questions! ;)

Most GOOD pool cleaners will climb walls. Most will not climb steps or ledges. So brushing will be needed on steps and ledges. You might have to get a better pool cleaner. What make and model do you have?

I wish they would have sold you a robot.. it will get onto your deck (depending on how deep it is ) and cost 20 cents to clean your pool... they sold you a cleaner from the 1980 tech that is just not for pools today...

an S200 would do wonders and scrub the tile line and pool for you :)
Does Pentair make a robot? My contractor has been pretty good with me because of this startup guy. It might be worthwhile to ask them to upgrade. It's only been 1 month since running the Racer

They sure do :)

Actually I didn't even see the Prowler in my google search. I found the Warrior SE and SI. I just reached out to my contractor and asked if he would be open to the idea of swapping my Racer for a Warrior...

Reactions: cowboycasey
Once a week should be fine, but if you need more therapy, go for it
Oh I need a lot of therapy. Usually comes every evening over a single cube of ice...

I'll try to get another picture today when lighting is a bit better. I guess you can't see it in the 3rd pic.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and mguzzy
Sorry, my therapy session ran a little late. Still going in fact...

In this first picture you can kind of barely see the color change at the transition from the floor to the walls at the steps.
20210412_194458.jpg

Now this pic with the light on, I wasn't going to pot because it makes the pool water look terrible but you can kind of see the dirt color just below the shadow to the left of the light. Maybe I'm being picky? I'm pretty anal though I'll admit.
20210412_194741.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By the way, my TF Pro test kit is on it's way but I had to go to a customer this morning that coincidentally was 5 min. from a pool service store that offers free water testing. Their results came back like this:

FC: 2.7
CC: 2.93
pH: 8.4
TA: 90
CH: 478
CYA: 60
Phosphates: 4000ppb
Salt: 2733

I have well water and it's hard and heck so CH looks surprisingly low actually.

Assuming those are real numbers... just assuming, your FC is low and should be closer to over 5ppm... so turn you SWG up a bit. That's where I like mine. the phosphate number...mmm. If you go to a different store you will get a different result. since it is measure in parts per BILLION its is very sensitive to contamination. If the last guy had high phosphates then you will see it too. If you went to the chain pool store, I think you did, they rinse out their test cells with the last guys water. meh. Also if you are adhering to the TFP protocol phosphates shouldn't matter. But there is some thought it may affect SWG performance. But like I said, assuming those are real numbers

Last edited:
missed your reply somehow. yes, I read that phosphates shouldn't matter and to be honest I really went there for a CYA reading. I'm done getting tests there now since the numbers were so skewed and my TF-Pro kit arrives today. I'll take two tests today: one with my poolmaster 5-way kit and one with my TF kit and compare those two mostly for curiousity. I supposed if they are accurate to one another I can use poolmaster up so it's not a total waste of money...

by the way - my CH number is probably off too, I'm betting that reading is LOW. My water is so hard it hurts to jump in! LOL
I'm on well water and it has an incredible amount of hardness... Once I get all my other numbers sorted out I'll look into possible solutions for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.