3/4 Vs 1 HP 2 speed motors

Jul 20, 2017
Lake Winnebago, MO
So I ordered a 3/4 HP 1.5 SF 2 speed motor the sts1072rv1 and a sts1102rv1 1 hp 1.5 SF shows up instead of the sts1072rv1 I'm sure the 1 hp motor will work am I gonna waste a lot of energy running it? I see the 1 hp is rated @ 7 amps Vs 5.4 on hi and 2.3 Vs 2.2 on low. Most savings being had on hi speed, called the supplier that I got motor from said the 1072 has been discontinued and the 1102 is the replacement

A pump at a given speed takes the same amount of power to run regardless of the potential power of the motor attached. For example if your pump is rated at 1.125 THP, it is going to take 1.125 HP to turn at the rated RPM. The electrical current ratings between the motors can't be compared directly, since the bigger motor isn't going to be running at it's capacity it will take less current than its rating. It might take slightly more than the smaller motor if it is slightly less efficient due to the larger total capacity.

I would guess they would be very similar, but it is really hard to tell without more data (specifically how much current or electrical power each motor takes to turn a 1.125 HP load) and I'm not sure where you might be able to get such data. Maybe someone with more knowledge knows and can answer in more detail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.