Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My PB installed a 3/4" overflow drain pipe, and I'm wondering if it's really large enough to be effective. For some reason, I expected the overflow to be 1.5" or even 2" piping. I asked the construction manager about it, and he said 3/4" is what is expected.

Does 3/4" seem reasonable, or should I just replace it myself with 1.5" or 2" piping before gunite is shot?

1595691822853.png

S,

I suspect that technically the 3/4" line will work, but I can't see it working well if you get a deluge of a rain storm.

My overflow is a 2" or maybe a 1.5" line tied into my deck drains. It is just below the coping and has a rectangular, grated cover.

The whole point of an overflow is to prevent the water from overflowing the coping. I would personally want a larger line.

Make sure the line has some place for the water to go..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect that technically the 3/4" line will work, but I can't see it working well if you get a deluge of a rain storm.
Ya, that was my thought as well. We can get some pretty heavy downpours from time to time.

The whole point of an overflow is to prevent the water from overflowing the coping. I would personally want a larger line.
I'm thinking I may just replace it myself before the gunite is installed. My only concern would be whatever grate my PB is planning to install, and if it would work with a larger pipe.

Make sure the line has some place for the water to go..
My plan is to trench about 200 - 250ft to the same place where my water softener sends the regen water to (a drainage ditch within my property). Since I'm planning for a SWG, I didn't want the overflow going into the grass or landscaping plants around the pool.

Just tell him you want a larger overflow pipe. Why would there be a problem?

Gunite is being scheduled for next week, so if I told him I want the overflow changed, he’d have to bring the plumbing sub back out. I don’t want that to delay Gunite, and feel it probably would considering how busy the subs are right now.

Seems it would be much easier/faster for me to just swap it out with 1.5” pipe.

I have same as Jim. Have had to issues. Mine even has a shutoff valve if I want to save extra rain water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.