2nd month of owning pool

Aug 4, 2017
Nc
this is my second month of owning a pool and have been relying on pool store but just got taylor k2006 and did first tests.. heres how the numbers read FC 9.2 CC .6 ph 7.2 TA 130 .. any insight would be valued.. the FC seems mighty high and is there a way to get out the dead chlorine without buying burnout shock?

Welcome to the forum! And great job on purchasing a quality test kit.

Did you test CYA? Your FC that is needed is dependent on your CYA - see Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Not sure what you mean by 'dead chlorine'? More description ?

You should not need 'burnout shock' or any solid forms of chlorine with the TFP way of managing pool water chemistry.

How are you chlorinating?

Take care - and welcome again!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We need to know the CYA to know if that FC is "too high". Check out the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
Hint: Use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Then each drop is 0.5ppm (which is plenty precise) and you will save reagents. ;)

We never recommend using any kind of "burnout shock" and I am not sure what you mean by "dead chlorine"

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya and congrats on the pool!

What is your CYA? Your FC will be dependent on that. Could be high, could be just fine depending on your CYA. Also, I don't think you can get 9.2 or 0.6 using the Taylor kit. Mine only allows for either .25 or .5. Are you sure you are testing it properly?
25 ml of water (which is what Taylor has in the instructions) gives you 0.2ppm per drop ... not 0.25 (which would be 20ml of water)

cya was 90

So your you minimum FC level is 7ppm and your daily target is around 10-12ppm every day. So your FC is currently just fine.

How are you chlorinating? That CYA is already very high for a non-SWG pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently, we are just going to keep saying the same things ;) I will leave this in @mknauss capable hands :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok -- time to stop with the tablets and powdered shock. Now.

Jason gave you a great range to manage your FC in. Daily. Every day you must add chlorine - liquid chlorine (10% or 12.5%) or bleach (8.25%) based on your FC test you do with your FAS-DPD test.

I assume your water is crystal clear? Not hazy, no visible algae, etc?

Also start reading Pool School. As long as you keep using your K20006 (is at a C kit or not?) and you keep your FC in the target levels (as a minimum) you will be OK>

If you purchased the basic K2006, I suggest ordering a refill of the FAS-DPD reagents from TFTestkits.net now. The small amounts in the basic K2006 do not last long.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.