2HP Monster Blower

Oct 19, 2018
Frisco, TX
I'm in a very similar situation to several other TFPers: new pool & spa, spa doesn't jet, and blower causes water to splash out of the spa. I've read several threads here on TFP that indicate that we may have a blower that is too big (mine is 2 HP for 5 jets, pretty sure it's too big). I'm working with my pool builder to put a T in the blower pipe with a ball valve so I can vent off as much air as I want to control the splashing over.

Can somebody who has done this T with a ball valve post pictures and/or parts they used? If my PB won't do the work then I'll probably do it myself.

Last edited:
What model blower do you have?

What size pipe is it sitting on?

Another technique I have heard of to vent the blower is to drill vent holes below the blower in the pipe. Keep adding holes until you get the right balance.

Edited my signature to include the blower... It's a 2 HP Air Supply Silencer and it's sitting on 2" pipe.

I actually contacted Air Supply and they recommended drilling holes as well, but after reading the various threads about using a T and putting a ball-valve on the end, I think that's a more elegant solution. I am trying to figure out how to put a screen over the end of that pipe so I don't end up with bugs in there however...

I tried removing the blower from the air line with the pump running and it doesn't jet, even with only 5 jets.

It does not pull any air in with the blower removed? That does not sound right at all. Are you sure there is not a plumbing issue?

I just did an experiment where I took the blower off, had the pump running at about 2600 RPM, and tried blowing into the air tube. After exhausting my breath, I actually felt back pressure from the pipe. My wife was watching the spa (there's about 70 feet between the equipment pad and the spa) and never saw any bubbles. Also I didn't feel any kind of suction from the air pipe with the blower off.

Should I lower or raise the pump speed?

How would I test for a plumbing issue?

The easiest is to pull out the jets and see if they are installed correctly. Including all orings, etc.

That pump rate should have been high enough. I run our Intelliflo at 3200 rpm for the spa, 6 jets, and it pulls alot of air all on its own.

Let me bump it to 3200 RPM and try again... we have essentially the same pump...

I even bumped it to the max speed for that pump and no air jet.

I'm warming up the spa now, I'll have a peek at the jets while we're in there later.

Last edited:
So I tried an experiment last night, switched out the return eyeballs in the spa to 1/2 inch (from 3/4 inch) and the jets behaved like I would have expected them to behave, they actually "jetted" instead of spitting out copious amounts of air and splashing water everywhere... then the blower promptly overheated and turned itself off.

Any insight on what this might mean, other than my blower is too big? Would a faster or slower pump speed keep the blower from overheating (pump was at 3000 rpm)?

I'm going to put the 3/4" eyeballs back on the spa today, because I still think this is something the pool builder needs to fix, but it was an interesting experiment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to finish out this thread on a high note, I was able to convince my pool builder to swap me down to a 1 HP blower. We spent some time in the spa last night and it's a night and day difference. The jets are actually comfortable to sit in front of, and we can actually hold a conversation with the blower running now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.