Really need to wait 3 weeks to swim?

Apr 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. They dug our pool in November 2010 and just did the tile today 4/26/2011. Still need coping, patio, fence, then quartz plaster.

As our schedule pans out, it looks like we will have plaster and water just a few days before Memorial weekend. I was reading the pool start-up info...and it suggested waiting 3 weeks until we swim! I don't think that is going to go over too well with the kids...or me :)

Is there a safety concern with the floating plaster... or is it a plaster curing issue. My BP said that no matter what anyone says, we can swim the next day. I'm not sure what to think.

Without running the SWG, how do we keep the pool clean if we do swim?

Can someone tell me why we need to wait the 3 weeks? Did anyone swim right away? Any problems?

Thanks so much!

Yes, to protect the surface of the pool, we recommend 3 weeks. its a curing issue, you don't want to risk damage to the surface of the newly installed and $$$ pool... :)

With the SWG situation, until salt is added and SWG operational, we either recommend using tablets in an inline chlorinator or a floater, as it slowly releases chlorine and CYA, which is ideal in a new plaster situation - or, on the flip side, you can add CYA and small amount of liquid chlorine aka bleach daily to keep the pool sanitized.

Welcome to TFP!

For the first day or so there is a risk of damaging the plaster. After that you need to add chemicals slowly and gently for a couple of days, so it is difficult to insure that the water is safe to swim in. It is recommended to wait the full three weeks, but it is a very good idea to wait at least until you have a measurable FC level.

During a plaster startup you normally use trichlor tablets for chlorine. They add chlorine and CYA and help keep the PH down. Once you can add salt, 30 days later, you stop using trichlor and switch to the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.