Newbie, first opening

CYA won't lower the PH very much unless your TA level is too low. Basically, as long as TA is above 70 then all it needs is a little aeration. But if TA is also low you will need to raise both TA and PH a little.

Right, add CYA. You said earlier that "Solution also stays clear on the CYA test.", which means the CYA level is too low. So you want to add cyanuric acid, sometimes called stabilizer or conditioner (never called shock).

It was granules. That's all I had. According to the calculator, the amount I added should bring my CYA to around 30. I'm assuming I will need more in the near future.

Now to get to shock level, (according to the calculater again) I need to bring my FC up to 13 by adding 3 more gallons of bleach. Does that sound right?

Checked chlorine again tonight, it's back to zero. CYA checked at maybe 15 (I added enough to get it to 30 last night but isn't testing fully yet). Ph still at 7.2

With the opening, what am I looking to get my numbers to. CYA to 30 has been suggested, so that means I need to get my chlorine to 13 to shock. According to the calculator that means I should add 3 gallons of 6% bleach.

Anyone know why my chlorine dropped in a day? It has been raining some and not really sunny. Had some funk on the pool bottom that I vacuumed up so I'm guessing that might have been some algae that is consuming the chlorine? Water temp is cold. Maybe 60 or so. Likely lower.

I don't want to keep fighting a losing battle here.

The trick with shocking, when organics are consuming the chlorine very rapidly, is to test as often as possible, up to hourly, to keep the FC at shock level. IF it drops down to zero that fast then something is still consuming it. So more additions to hold it at shock level are key. Any chance you can test/add bleach more often tomorrow? Kinda a losing battle if you can only test/add once or twice a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately I'm at work during the day so I can't be home to add the chemicals. I will check again in an hour or so to see where I'm at after the bleach addition. If it's not to late, then again before I go to bed. I will see if I can instruct my wife to do the test tomorrow while I'm at work so hopefully I can stay ahead of the game (if she's up for it :) ).

Just for clarification. Once the FC holds and I can raise the CYA to 50, is that when I can turn on the SWG and then start adding salt or is there another step up on CYA before that point?

Did you actually get to 13ppm?

If 13 ppm has gone to 0 since 9 pm last night you don't need to worry about the overnight test. If you can't be around to check it during the day, raise your FC up even higher. Check it before you leave, and add a bunch of bleach before you leave, even if it is at 10 or 11. then check it as soon as you get home. The key (I believe, is to never let it get below 13 or you'll just be dumping bleach for two weeks instead of one).

Have you done a CC or TC test?

I tested yesterday, 5 hours after adding 6 quarts of bleach, as suggested earlier in the thread.

Here are the numbers from then (this was around 8 last night)

FC - .5
CC - 2
CYA - 0
TA - 80
CH - 180

I then added CYA at an amount that should bring the level of CYA up to 30. I didn't add any more bleach at that time because I didn't have any. Bought bleach today and added 2.1 182 oz. bottles about a half hour ago. I will test again in about 30 more minutes to see where I'm at and if I need to add more. I should be able to get in one more test tonight and then I should be able to check again, early in the morning (7 hours or so later), before work and add any (plus some) if needed at that point.

The problem you will still lose roughly 50% of your FC to sunlight regardless of high up you raise it in the morning before you go to work. Your wife can absolutely handle it. I have seen hundreds and hundreds of SAHM's (including myself) who were intimidated at first but now realize it's a piece of cake. Trust me.

That is a good point though - I wouldn't worry about doing the overnight loss test tonight. Just test before bed, add more if necessary. Test tomorrow (whenever you wake up :) ) and then add more bleach if you need to. Then ask your wife to test and add every few hours tomorrow.

On the CYA - you use less bleach at a lower CYA level, and actually I missed the SWG reference. Once you are done shocking you can raise the CYA to 60-80. It does not have to be at that range for the SWG to operate. That's just the level we recommend, for a variety of reasons. There is an article about it for later when you feel you have a handle on things. Don't want you to get too overwhelmed right now sweating the small stuff :)

Water Balance for SWCGs

Thanks for the info. I will test shortly and see where I'm at, and post the results here. The one thing I'm mainly worried about is the prediction of 5-7 inches of rain in our area over the next 2 days. I'm about 3/4 of the way up the skimmer right now, so I fear I'll be draining off some water soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.