27 foot new above ground pool questions

I am looking to upgrade our intex ultra 20x48 not after 3 years a pole has rusted significantly compromising the structural integrity.

Here is the pool I am looking at

The main question is that salt water generator is rated at 20000 gallons when my pool would be 17000 gallons. From research it seems too small even though the company is confident that this will work fine. I have never had a salt water pool so dont want to screw this up especially when it will all be new.

For 300 additional I can upgrade to this but this is only rated at 25k gallons

for 400 additional I can upgrade to this which is almost double at 30k gallons for 400 more.

Should I spent the additional 400 and get the 30k gallon model?

Secondly the filter I am going with is not a sand filter but a 190sqft cartridge filter. I an upgrade to a 250sqft cartridge filter with same 2hp 2 speed pump for an additional $50 bucks. Is bigger better in this case?

The second question is I plan on installing this myself. I was leading toward a sand floor as its what I installed previously at the old house. They recommend the floor pad which is $150 and the foam edging which is $110. When I installed previously I just made the cove from the sand and had no issues. I would rather save some money and not use the foam floor if possible.

The third question is they are recommending a digital salt tester for $110 dollars. I see online their are other strips/test kits that are available. Would the digital tester be the preferred way to test the salt? I am assuming I would need some opening kit that will come with the initial salt needed.

thanks so much for all the help in advance

having done the sand cove before they invented the foam cove, I say get that at least! I personally don't like the feel of foam on the floor, but it IS probably easier to get smooth than sand. I am cheap though so I would probably skip that as well as wall foam. the cove though...yes.

you might be able to get a better salt generator from another site, I have read that those saltron aren't so great. yes you need at least double the rating on SWGs. filters are always a bigger is better item - means less cleaning intervals. there are people on here that only clean once a year.

I have never seen anybody say they wished their pool was smaller.

Last edited:
I agree with PV2. See if you can change out the SWG. I used foam cove and thought it was well worth the money as it is simple, saves time and won’t wash away. We considered a 30’ but opted for the 27 and it’s plenty. I can honestly say I’m glad we didn’t go 30 but I am glad we went 54” deep. Only 2” but you can notice in the pool.

I have a 190sq ft filter and does the job. If I had the option to change it now I would go bigger.

good luck with the purchase. Install is lots of work but so worth it

I'd see what they'd offer me off the package if you opted not to get the SWCG. If it's more than a couple hundred dollars, I'd probably take the discount and buy a unit somewhere else. If they won't give you a pretty good discount then I'd probably spend a little extra and go with the 25k gallon unit.

The 190 ft² filter will probably be fine, but for $50 more I'd go for the 25ft².

Don't spend money on the digital salt tester. You can buy the Taylor 1766 or the test strips from tftestkits when you order your TF-100 or refills. You only need to test salt a few times a year, so you don't need the digital unit.

One thing to be aware of; most water supplies have some amount of salt in them so test it before just adding a bunch. Don't assume it's zero.

having done the sand cove before they invented the foam cove, I say get that at least! I personally don't like the feel of foam on the floor, but it IS probably easier to get smooth than sand. I am cheap though so I would probably skip that as well as wall foam. the cove though...yes.

you might be able to get a better salt generator from another site, I have read that those saltron aren't so great. yes you need at least double the rating on SWGs. filters are always a bigger is better item - means less cleaning intervals. there are people on here that only clean once a year.

I have never seen anybody say they wished their pool was smaller.
I did some research and circupool salt water would be the ideal salt water system for a DIY guy like me. I will def get the foam cove thanks so much. CircuPool RJ-30 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool
I agree with PV2. See if you can change out the SWG. I used foam cove and thought it was well worth the money as it is simple, saves time and won’t wash away. We considered a 30’ but opted for the 27 and it’s plenty. I can honestly say I’m glad we didn’t go 30 but I am glad we went 54” deep. Only 2” but you can notice in the pool.

I have a 190sq ft filter and does the job. If I had the option to change it now I would go bigger.

good luck with the purchase. Install is lots of work but so worth it

We looked at the 54 as it was only two inches taller. My one daughter is short and would only be able to stand on her tippy toes in the 52 now. I wanted the 54 but was worried about it being too tall for her this year. a 54 inch pool should hold 50 inches of water correct?
I'd see what they'd offer me off the package if you opted not to get the SWCG. If it's more than a couple hundred dollars, I'd probably take the discount and buy a unit somewhere else. If they won't give you a pretty good discount then I'd probably spend a little extra and go with the 25k gallon unit.

The 190 ft² filter will probably be fine, but for $50 more I'd go for the 25ft².

Don't spend money on the digital salt tester. You can buy the Taylor 1766 or the test strips from tftestkits when you order your TF-100 or refills. You only need to test salt a few times a year, so you don't need the digital unit.

One thing to be aware of; most water supplies have some amount of salt in them so test it before just adding a bunch. Don't assume it's zero.
I will Increase the filter for an additional 50 bucks. Good to know about the salt as we are on well water so I would assume its there.

One last question if I order the pool without the salt water generator and make it chlorine to get it set up this year would I have to drain the pool to convert it to salt water next year?

Your daughter is going to grow into a 54" pool. Teach her how to swim. My 6 year old granddaughter had became a virtual fish last year and this year she still wont be able to stand in our pool but she can maneuver around it like no one's business. I bought a set of steps and she uses them as her resting area.

Reactions: Pv2
One last question if I order the pool without the salt water generator and make it chlorine to get it set up this year would I have to drain the pool to convert it to salt water next year?

No you wouldn't. You'll have to do the exact same thing to get it ready next year as you'd have to do this year. (well with the addition of installing the SWCG.) :) Just test and add salt as needed. Then turn the SWCG on and adjust it.

Everyone else covered the important stuff (do the deeper pool, you will be glad you did in the end). I want to tell you about "diamond day". This is when you add salt to the pool. Get everyone in the pool then throw the salt into the pool. It is SO pretty as the "diamonds" float down through the water. The people will have fun swimming around looking at them and it helps mix the salt in!

Kim:kim:

No you wouldn't. You'll have to do the exact same thing to get it ready next year as you'd have to do this year. (well with the addition of installing the SWCG.) :) Just test and add salt as needed. Then turn the SWCG on and adjust it.
Everyone else covered the important stuff (do the deeper pool, you will be glad you did in the end). I want to tell you about "diamond day". This is when you add salt to the pool. Get everyone in the pool then throw the salt into the pool. It is SO pretty as the "diamonds" float down through the water. The people will have fun swimming around looking at them and it helps mix the salt in!

Kim:kim:
Perfect guys just ordered the taller 54 inch pool and the bigger pump. they basically gave the salt water chlorination for free and if doesn't work out I will just make it a chlorine ool this summer as well our budget is shot haha

• Love
Reactions: Casey and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perfect guys just ordered the taller 54 inch pool and the bigger pump. they basically gave the salt water chlorination for free and if doesn't work out I will just make it a chlorine ool this summer as well our budget is shot haha
You will be glad you got the 54". I love mine. Like I said earlier, my granddaughter learned how to swim in it. She'll be 7 and still can't touch the bottom but she can swim circles around it.

Reactions: Newdude
She'll be 7 and still can't touch the bottom but she can swim circles around it.
For the first 1.5 years we had mine, my little one couldn’t touch. She porpoised like a dolphin to come up for air. Jumping off the bottom, grab a breath and back to bobbing. She couldn’t get enough. When she got tired we’d throw a vest or swimmies on her and she could go all day.

now they have ‘puddle jumpers’ that are more comfortable and have much better movement.

Reactions: Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.