24’ Carvin Gold series pool install

Thankfully there is no sun today, very overcast and raining. Once I get the pump going as soon as storm is over I have stabilizer to add. Just didn’t know if stirring it in would be adequate or not.

I am hoping the “moat” around the pool is ok. There is going to be a low wall with drainage behind it and river rock around the pool hopefully by end of this weekend. This all happened in kind of a chaotic time frame so I wasn’t as prepared as I’d have liked. The “soil” I dug out for pool was pretty much straight sand and rocks, so it drains very well. I had smaller area dug out last year for the intex pool and the ground never held any water at all.

Thankfully there is no sun today, very overcast and raining. Once I get the pump going as soon as storm is over I have stabilizer to add. Just didn’t know if stirring it in would be adequate or not.

I am hoping the “moat” around the pool is ok. There is going to be a low wall with drainage behind it and river rock around the pool hopefully by end of this weekend. This all happened in kind of a chaotic time frame so I wasn’t as prepared as I’d have liked. The “soil” I dug out for pool was pretty much straight sand and rocks, so it drains very well. I had smaller area dug out last year for the intex pool and the ground never held any water at all.
Good luck! I had a similar weather situation, but with heavy clay soil. So I had a vicious battle with pooling water before I backfilled. Fortunately it sounds like your soil conditions are better. I would just keep an eye on the area immediately around the pool and make sure you don’t see puddles forming against the wall.

I had 4 inches of rain literally the day before my backfill material arrived. Glad that’s over!!

Good luck! I had a similar weather situation, but with heavy clay soil. So I had a vicious battle with pooling water before I backfilled. Fortunately it sounds like your soil conditions are better. I would just keep an eye on the area immediately around the pool and make sure you don’t see puddles forming against the wall.

I had 4 inches of rain literally the day before my backfill material arrived. Glad that’s over!!

Seems we are supposedto see less then 2” of rain now. It’s been so incredibly dry all summer the water had plenty of places to go. Digging for my electrical down up to 2’The ground was like chalk dust mixed with rocks.

I would try to get some stabilizer in there too if possible. You are supposed to put it in a sock in your skimmer or in front of the return but maybe just sprinkle it around and stir it up.
Use the sock method in front of the return. Don't sprinkle the cya around the pool. It will still take forever to dissolve and it will start to damage your liner. Remember it's acid and acid sitting on the bottom of the pool is not a good idea. :shock:

Use the sock method in front of the return. Don't sprinkle the cya around the pool. It will still take forever to dissolve and it will start to damage your liner. Remember it's acid and acid sitting on the bottom of the pool is not a good idea. :shock:
Good point. Best to wait until the pump is going!!

Reactions: mariane
Finally able to get back in here. The storm did a ton of damage to the area! I had a whole lot of leaves in the pool but nothing else wrong. Biggest thing is no power and could be a week or more until it’s back on. I have a decent size generator that will run the pool pump so been doing that about 4 hours a day. I know it should run longer but that’s all I can do with the generator and keeping an eye on things.

I did the cya in the sock yesterday as well as getting PH and chlorine level in check. Will test it again tomorrow and see where I’m at. With the fresh fill and rain and no real sun last few days the water is quite cold. Also can finally order the Tf-100 since I can finally get back online after two days of zero internet access at home or on my phone.

Doing the best I can in a bad situation.

I’m looking forward to having power back on so I can just let the Pump timer do it’s thing!

Finally able to get back in here. The storm did a ton of damage to the area! I had a whole lot of leaves in the pool but nothing else wrong. Biggest thing is no power and could be a week or more until it’s back on. I have a decent size generator that will run the pool pump so been doing that about 4 hours a day. I know it should run longer but that’s all I can do with the generator and keeping an eye on things.

I did the cya in the sock yesterday as well as getting PH and chlorine level in check. Will test it again tomorrow and see where I’m at. With the fresh fill and rain and no real sun last few days the water is quite cold. Also can finally order the Tf-100 since I can finally get back online after two days of zero internet access at home or on my phone.

Doing the best I can in a bad situation.

I’m looking forward to having power back on so I can just let the Pump timer do it’s thing!
Yikes! Glad to hear no damage at least.

4 hours is likely plenty of time for the pump. You might even be able to get away with less if the generator is costly to run, at this point really just need it to mix the chemicals. What size pump/filter do you have?

Reactions: Valkyrie Rider
Hayward xstream 150 with a power flo matrix pump. 1.5hp
Looks like your pump / filter moves 120 gallons per minute; so 7,200 gallons per hour.

That means you can turn over your pool water completely in about 2 hours. So as long as you run the pump at least 2 hours per day I believe you should be golden.

Reactions: Valkyrie Rider

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...... update time. Got power and internet back so good to go at house! You take for granted how convenient it is to have power all the time until you lose it. Lol

Ive been adding chemicals slowly according to poolmath and the test kit I have, but it’s limited. I have a Taylor k-1004 so am able to do PH and chlorine and TA. Been adding chlorine on a daily basis based on pool math, put in 4lbs of CYA in sock in front of return and added baking soda and washing soda so far trying to adjust TA and PH.

have pump running and will test in a hour or so. Also have a TF-100 test kit on its way that I ordered as soon as I got internet back at work on Thursday...... so will be able to test properly after I receive that.

I have lots of chlorine on hand, borax, washing soda, baking soda. Hopefully that is all I need until end of this season which Will be in September most likely.
Pool has warmed up nicely. Was 68 on Friday, 77 on Saturday, and 85 today 😁
Have more hot weather on its way so gonna continue going up.

Reactions: magiteck
Ok...... update time. Got power and internet back so good to go at house! You take for granted how convenient it is to have power all the time until you lose it. Lol

Ive been adding chemicals slowly according to poolmath and the test kit I have, but it’s limited. I have a Taylor k-1004 so am able to do PH and chlorine and TA. Been adding chlorine on a daily basis based on pool math, put in 4lbs of CYA in sock in front of return and added baking soda and washing soda so far trying to adjust TA and PH.

have pump running and will test in a hour or so. Also have a TF-100 test kit on its way that I ordered as soon as I got internet back at work on Thursday...... so will be able to test properly after I receive that.

I have lots of chlorine on hand, borax, washing soda, baking soda. Hopefully that is all I need until end of this season which Will be in September most likely.
Pool has warmed up nicely. Was 68 on Friday, 77 on Saturday, and 85 today 😁
Have more hot weather on its way so gonna continue going up.
Sounds like you’re on the right track. How is the water - is it clear?

Welcome to the forum!! We also started with a soft side pool to see how much we would use it, loved it and installed the upgrade last summer. Took us until the end of July because it rained every weekend mid-May thru June! Your pool looks great and I’m sure your family is loving it!!!😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.