Hayward cartridge filter

Jun 11, 2010
Hello,
Anyone know the recommended psi on a hayward swimclear cartridge filter. My is currently running 25-30 psi and I am wondering if it is time to clean the darn thing. I cannot get a "magic" number the manual only suggests cleaning when psi is 8-10 more than normal. I inherited this pool when we moved into the house in Feb. so I am not sure what normal is. Oh I also have a polaris 5 port system running with this filter and the presssure on that is 20-25psi, if it matters??? Any help is appreciated, and I LOVE this site!!

There isn't any "magic number". The baseline pressure is dependant on the whole plumbing system (length, runs, pipe diameter, etc). I recommend giving it a good cleaning now, and make sure to take a reading when you start it up. This becomes your baseline so you will know to clean when it increases by 8 psi.

Do you have a good pressure washer? That's how we clean ours. The first year I had my pool I bought 3 of them at almost $140.00 each. (as recomended by the pool store :oops: ) It didn't take us long to start thinking of ways to get more life out of them. This was actually my hubby's idea, and I have to admit I freaked out a little when he first mentioned trying it. I had this mental picture of the filter being torn to shreds as soon as he hit it with the high pressure. Boy was I wrong, it works beautifully! I have found that they can stand up to 5 or 6 good washings before showing any sign of breakdown. If they are really dirty you may want to pressure wash first and then soak them in a bucket of filter cleaner. Also, using skimmer socks helps keeps you from having to clean them as often.

The accepted method here is just to use a garden hose with a with a nozzle adjusted to the tightest jet. Check out How to clean a cartridge filter for specifics.

I also just bought my house and took over and unknown set of filters. I bit the bullet and took the filter apart and cleaned the cartridges. When I put it back together I was surprised that the pressure didn't go down by much. I hadn't touched it since I moved in (many months) so I assumed cleaning it would make a big difference. Based on this I questioned the integrity of the cartridges and purchased a new set on eBay (waaaay cheaper than any other place I saw). In hindsight the old ones were probably fine, but at least now I know exactly what their condition is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.