Hayward cartridge filter

mybluepool

Jun 11, 2010
Hello,
Anyone know the recommended psi on a hayward swimclear cartridge filter. My is currently running 25-30 psi and I am wondering if it is time to clean the darn thing. I cannot get a "magic" number the manual only suggests cleaning when psi is 8-10 more than normal. I inherited this pool when we moved into the house in Feb. so I am not sure what normal is. Oh I also have a polaris 5 port system running with this filter and the presssure on that is 20-25psi, if it matters??? Any help is appreciated, and I LOVE this site!!

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
There isn't any "magic number". The baseline pressure is dependant on the whole plumbing system (length, runs, pipe diameter, etc). I recommend giving it a good cleaning now, and make sure to take a reading when you start it up. This becomes your baseline so you will know to clean when it increases by 8 psi.

Samantha_in_AL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2010
Altoona, AL
Do you have a good pressure washer? That's how we clean ours. The first year I had my pool I bought 3 of them at almost $140.00 each. (as recomended by the pool store :oops: ) It didn't take us long to start thinking of ways to get more life out of them. This was actually my hubby's idea, and I have to admit I freaked out a little when he first mentioned trying it. I had this mental picture of the filter being torn to shreds as soon as he hit it with the high pressure. Boy was I wrong, it works beautifully! I have found that they can stand up to 5 or 6 good washings before showing any sign of breakdown. If they are really dirty you may want to pressure wash first and then soak them in a bucket of filter cleaner. Also, using skimmer socks helps keeps you from having to clean them as often.

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
The accepted method here is just to use a garden hose with a with a nozzle adjusted to the tightest jet. Check out How to clean a cartridge filter for specifics.

I also just bought my house and took over and unknown set of filters. I bit the bullet and took the filter apart and cleaned the cartridges. When I put it back together I was surprised that the pressure didn't go down by much. I hadn't touched it since I moved in (many months) so I assumed cleaning it would make a big difference. Based on this I questioned the integrity of the cartridges and purchased a new set on eBay (waaaay cheaper than any other place I saw). In hindsight the old ones were probably fine, but at least now I know exactly what their condition is.