Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crunching noise from pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Crunching noise from pump?

My neighbors pump is making a crunching noise, and we have no idea why. it is about 2 years old, a Hayward 1 HP Powerflo( i think thats what it's called). Anyway, it is making a strange noise and has almost no suction. There is a little bit, but not much. Her filter pressure is normal 18 psi, and we tried backwashing to see if something was stuck. Took out pump basket and felt around and are clueless.......help?
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sounds like maybe it's not priming. Does it sound like a washing machine?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Yes, it sort of does, kind of a crunchy noise, but not a "motor" noise. It is primed, I can see water thru the basket lid, but it is not all the way full, it is losing a bit somewhere and I cannot figure it out.

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by edbson
    Yes, it sort of does, kind of a crunchy noise, but not a "motor" noise. It is primed, I can see water thru the basket lid, but it is not all the way full, it is losing a bit somewhere and I cannot figure it out.
    If it's not full, it's not primed. Try tightening the basket lid. They have an air leak between the skimmer/drain and the pump basket.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thats what I thought. I sent her to the pool store to get a gasket, lube etc...and a spider gasket just in case. I may go into the pool filter/pump repair business.