Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: keeping stairs down

1. Back To Top    #1

keeping stairs down

What can I use to weigh down stairs going into my above ground pool? I don't want to use anything that might interfere with the chemicals.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: keeping stairs down

We use several plastic-coated barbell weights ... 14 lbs or so each?

(Yeah, obviously not doing much strength-training in the hawkins3 household right now)
    24' x 52" AG round - 13,500 gallons - 2hp 2 speed BaquaPure pump, Pro Clean cartridge filter, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the friendliest pool forum on the web~!

I use bleach bottles filled with pea gravel and water and bleach stuck in the lip edge of the steps.

DO NOT use sandbags. You are asking for a headache and and algae bath...don't ask how I know this.

Do a search down below on the left for 'stair weights' and you should get a good selection of ideas.

I am still feeling as my stairs are the pain in my left you know what with regard to hiding 'stuff' and eating FC but it's much better without the sandbags.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We have many members who have been using pvc tubes filled with concrete and capped. An eye hook inserted so ropes go on. Works great and handy too thanks to Anna
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

I also used the 3 inch pvc pipes filled with sand and water. First season, the steps kept rising up and moving. apparently I didn't put enough pipes/weight on them. This season's opening, I installed a few more pipes, and they haven't moved yet.

Maybe 8 (28" or so, each) pipes in all. That's just a guess. I'd have to count. I strapped them to the steps with vinyl ties that are weatherproof. There's got to be an easier way, because this was a tad expensive. Pipes, glue, cleaner, sand, CAPS(x2 for each pipe!)... it adds up. I don't want to know how much I spent.

I also don't want to know how I'm going to get the steps out of the water this winter. Wait, yes I do!
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I used bags of decorative smooth pebbles, worked a treat, my shelf is fairly small so i didnt want to try the pipe method.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

7. Back To Top    #7

We only had to use 3 of the pipes with concrete to hold our steps down. It cost less than $10 for everything
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

Check the link in my signature block. It leads to pictures and instructions on how me made our step weights. We've switched from sand in capped PVC tubes to concrete this year.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

9. Back To Top    #9

I too have a problem with my pool stairs. I have tried many things, but I like the idea of the concrete filled pvc tubes. I tried the link to your Pool Issues and couldn't open it. I am a new member and would like to see the pictures and instructions on how the tubes are made. thank you Brenda

10. Back To Top    #10

chlorine bottles with sand/gravel, water (with some bleach in it) all rigged up with baling twine LOL
    somewhere around 6,400 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, no clue on hp of pump - looks like a dang toy, "A" cartridge filter, finished filling August 29, pump up and running August 30, 2013 --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by hawkins3 View Post
    We use several plastic-coated barbell weights ... 14 lbs or so each?

(Yeah, obviously not doing much strength-training in the hawkins3 household right now)
    +1 I use a 10 lb weight and a brick covered in plastic. I have one set of steps that never float and another that is very hard to keep down. The brick seemed to solve the problem and the five year old can stand on the bottom step and keep her head above water.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    Check the link in my signature block. It leads to pictures and instructions on how me made our step weights. We've switched from sand in capped PVC tubes to concrete this year.
    Hey, you have the same steps as me. I also cut several holes for circulation and I also cut a hole big enough to fit 1" pipe (I think) so I can hook a vaccum hose up to the steps so it will pull water through them. How many pounds of weight do you have holding the steps down?
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I hve wedding cake steps. 120 pounds in plastic, concrete filled, barbell weights. I cut extra holes in the steps for circulation, to keep dirt and aglae from gathering on the weights. When i take them out end of the season, I see some dirt or algae, but nothing that has ever effected the balance of the pool.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons,
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.

14. Back To Top    #14

I bought 2 of the cheapest 20 lb metal dumbbells I could find and sealed them in Jumbo Ziplock bags (as they were cheap, they are not plastic/vinyl coated and they do rust​, hence the ziplock bags). I have wedding cake steps with a webbed "shelf" in the back and I used zip ties to attach the weights to the shelf. I've used this solution for the past 4 years with no issues at all.
    06-08-2015
    We have a 21" round x 52" deep above ground pool, steel/aluminium frame. New vinyl liner last year. 21" Waterways Sand Filter & Pump which are 5 yrs. old. We live in Southwest Connecticut and have had 3 years of extremely cold snowy winters which I believe has had a detrimental impact on all our pool equipment. MBP