Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fresh 'N Clear.....Question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Fresh 'N Clear.....Question.

My neighbor is moving and while I was at work brought over a bunch of lawn/garden stuff yesterday that he didn't want to pack. I went through it last night and in there was an unopened box of Fresh 'N Clear from Leslie's. What little I have been able to find on this product (including a few threads here) is the main use for this in for indoor pools/spas.

My question (as I am not familiar with the active ingredients in this stuff) is since this stuff says it's a shock, does anyone here have an idea how much your FC will be raised per 10,000 gallons per pound of this stuff? I use the 10,000 gallons because the bag says it will shock a 10,000 gallon pool (lol yes I know how absurd that statement is). While I doubt very seriously I'd ever buy this stuff, as it was free and apparently will not raise CYA or CH when you use it, I thought I might as well use it if I have it.

So if anyone has any idea what this stuff does to FC when added, I'd appreciate it.
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fresh 'N Clear.....Question.

It's MPS, a non-chlorine shock. Great oxidizer but not a great sanitizer.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    It's MPS, a non-chlorine shock. Great oxidizer but not a great sanitizer.

Scott
    That's the jist of just about everything I have read on this product.

Does anyone know the effects it has on FC?
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

4. Back To Top    #4

It does not add chlorine, but will active bromine according to their website. I could not find a MSDS for it in a quick search. I was sold Fresh and Clear to use as a clarifier last summer. Researching it after it didn't work is what led me to TFP! I would pass on it. Free garbage is still garbage.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ahhh. Thanks.

Here's a link that also explained it a bit... http://www.rhtubs.com/Monopersulfate.htm

6. Back To Top    #6

MPS is mostly of value with indoor pools. For an outdoor pool, the only time you might need to use it is when your CC level is very high, which is really quite rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

This stuff is looking like a "regift"....

8. Back To Top    #8

If you know somebody with a hot tub, they could make use of it.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

Just keep in mind that when MPS is in the water, it registers as Combined Chlorine (CC). There is an interference remover, the Taylor K-2042 to avoid that interference and measure real CC (and also measure the amount of MPS left in the pool that has yet to oxidize something).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"