Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Older pool and SWG question

1. Back To Top    #1

Older pool and SWG question

I live in South Florida, have an older 15x30 in ground pool (about 30 years old) with brick coping (seems to be ordinary rectangular red brick) and Kool deck on the rest of the patio. The pump is the same age jacuzzi. I'm considering salt and looking for opinions on how this material and equipment might hold up. I've tested the salt content for grins and it's already at 2000 PPM from just using liquid chlorine over the years. Any opinions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Older pool and SWG question

I love my SWCG. I don't think that age of pool has any bearing on suitability. You do need a straight run of return in order to place the cell and flow switch.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

a swg produces chlorine gas which then mixes with the salt water to make pretty much the same thing as liquid chlorine, so if you have been using liquid chlorine then swapping over to a swg should be ok.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the OP is concerned about using salt and possibly a higher concentration (3000+ ppm). Shouldn't be a problem and you could always use a brick sealer as an added precaution.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. dmanb2b is correct. I know there have been reports of salt damage to softer natural stone and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it's effect on brick coping.