First Time, checking my figures

Doh... I think I had it on the run, and lost it. I forgot to adjust for the higher CYA when I was using the pool calc... I needed 19 to shock, not 15. :hammer: :oops: I had gone back to the store and bought all but 1 of their big jugs. (Well, the store brand 6%. There is clorox brand, but it's a bit more $$) I got back home after visiting somebody in the hospital, and the numbers were:
Date 05/21/10
Time 08:56 PM
FC 0.5
CC 5.5
TC 6

I added 3 of the big jugs, and will try to test after an hour.

I think I need to find some 12% around here somewhere. My wife thinks I'm getting addicted to bleach. :shock:

Hopefully I can test and add a couple times tonight, but I have to get some sleep as we're supposed to have a yard sale tomorrow. :sleep:

"I think I need to find some 12% around here somewhere. My wife thinks I'm getting addicted to bleach. "
Ha ha ha. That made me laugh outloud, Mkenyon2. Thanks. I am still struggling with my numbers so I am reading everything possible on this site, but may have to resign myself to checking my numbers in the morning (in the rain) and going from there. I think I may be needing to truck in some bleach based on some of the replies I am seeing!
Keep asking those questions. It helps those of us who haven't gotten our numbers right just yet!

None of the usual shipping companies will ship 12% bleach, most of them won't take 6% either. If you are buying in large quantities you can often get it delivered by a janitorial supplies or chemical supplies company. In smaller quantities, it varies a lot by state.

Update, a buddy stopped by and I figured out I could take the cover off with just us. So we did. It would have been perfect, except for one slip, which dumped the stuff from the cover into the pool. (More story to follow the image)
[attachment=0:2dmtcb3r]PIC_0297.jpg[/attachment:2dmtcb3r]

I netted off as much as I could, and began shocking. Here's my numbers for the day:
4:00 PM 0 (CYA of 65)
5:00 PM 4.5
6:00 PM 7
7:00 PM 12 (w/ a CC of 2.5 and CYA of 60)

So, I've got it on the run.

I went to three stores today buying up bleach... and I need some more. My shock level is 19, and from 0 that's 3 182oz. jugs. (I put a little extra in at times.)

I'm going to go get dinner, and guess what else... MORE BLEACH!!! :roll: :shock: :roll:

Question: Over night, can I throw in some 3" tablets in the skimmer basket? I know it'll raise the CYA, but I'm running out of sources for regular bleach and I want to keep ahead of the algae/skum.

Attachments

• PIC_0297.jpg
    PIC_0297.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 36

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AAAarg
I'm running out of bleach... and money for bleach!!!

Friday morning at 11AM I did a full test.
I brought the pool to shock level. (I added what Pool Calculator suggested for 6%, and then some.)
By 9PM Friday, I was out of bleach and back to FC 0.5.

Saturday, after yard sale, and taking the cover off (where I dumped the cover junk in) and buying more bleach, I started shocking. Going from 0 to a peak of 16FC at 9. (From 4 to 11PM I tested FC and added bleach EVERY HOUR). At 11 FC was at 13. I added to shock level (I targeted 19 even tho CYA was back down to 45.) and I added 1 3" tablet to the skimmer basket.

This AM I did a full test again. Here's some of my test results:
[attachment=0:36zhzc69]stats5_23_2010.png[/attachment:36zhzc69]

So, I added my last two 96oz bottles. (Yes, I was hoping it would hold overnight.) At 11, I chased two ducks out (they had time to poop) and laid out rubber snakes.

Where to go from here? I'm thinking the puck kept it at 1.5. It's barely dissolved, but it's the first puck I've put in the pool, and CYA has gone up 5.

I'm also running out of room to put the empty bleach jugs, and I'm supposed to go out and spend the day with the wife today, we need us time.

The pool looks cloudy, but I can see the bottom. It needs some more vacuuming too.

Attachments

• stats5_23_2010.png
    stats5_23_2010.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 25
You can buy cal-hypo at any pool store and several places on the Internet. It is usually more expensive than bleach for equivalent amounts of chlorine, but it is much easier to carry around, and sometimes there is a sale and it becomes a good deal.

You lost nearly all of your chlorine overnight, so you still have a ways to go. You can take a day off without losing very much progress, as long as you still add chlorine this evening.

I've left the single 3" puck in all day, but didn't do anything else with the pool.
It still looks blue, just cloudy:
[attachment=1:22737wv1]PIC_0303.jpg[/attachment:22737wv1]

Here are my bleach jug carcasses:
[attachment=0:22737wv1]PIC_0302.jpg[/attachment:22737wv1]

Here's some quick numbers of from the test kit:
FC .5
CC 1
CYA 40

I've also gotten a feel for my pump. when I first hooked it up, it was running at 12-13psi. When I first vacuumed it Saturday, I saw it jump to 17, and the skim vac lost suction. So I backwashed. I now realize that the filter clean runs around 7-8 psi. It's been running pretty clean today. I did backwash it once this afternoon.

Very little crud is floating, but I see some patches collected on the bottom. We'll get those tomorrow. What is floating looks like fish food.

Tomorrow at lunch I'm going to get some Cal-Hypo and/or liquid chlorine. I'm going to get enough to shock it from 0 up to 30ppm (mustard algae shock level) at least 3 times. I'll get some more bleach, and start using it after that as it levels off. (I just can't find enough 6% bleach to keep it at shock level long enough. To go from 0 to 30ppm 3 times would be 25 jugs!!!) I'm hoping I won't have to go all the way from 0 to 30ppm 3 times, but I'll get enough to do that with the Cal-Hypo, and 6% bleach besides. So, when I get home from work, I'll test, shock, vacuum, repeat. I'm hoping the cloudiness clears up by the weekend, it's supposed to be nice. But it is definitely blue, and you can see to the bottom. (4')

Attachments

• PIC_0303.jpg
    PIC_0303.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PIC_0302.jpg
    PIC_0302.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 16
You sound as if you are going thru what I did last year before I found TFP. The important thing to remember is shock is a process.You spoke of getting enough chlorine to shock 3 times, you need to bring it to shock level and hold it there. (I know this is hard to do when you have other responsibilities!) You have made good headway but are not getting ahead of it and if you don't hold it at shock level, as PaulR once told me, the algae will stand up and laugh at you. :lol: If you can spend next weekend shocking you may be able to get ahead of it.

I would vaccum to waste 1st, then test, then start your shock process. With a FC of .5 and CYA of 40 your shock level is 16, which is 4.5 96 oz jugs of bleach. Wait an hour and retest to make sure you are at shock level. Test often and add according to the pool calculator to keep it at 16. When your CC are 0.5 or less, hold it at shock until you do an overnight FC loss and if your loss is 1 or less than you can let your FC drop to your target of 5.

It can take a week or more for the dead algae to clear. You can use a skimmer sock to help clear what is floating and flock to make the particles sink so you can vaccum.

I hope this helps and if I have anything wrong that someone will jump in and clarify. Good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.