Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with part ID for Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with part ID for Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter.

Hi All,
    I developed a leak at the main drain of my filter and am having a hard time finding the correct one online. My particular filter has a cap style drain (threads on the inside) whereas pool plaza shows the part as a plug (threads on the outside). Any ideas? Could I just use some Permatex #2 to seal it or should I get a new cap and Oring?
    Thanks,
    JOE
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with part ID for Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter.

Hey Joe, good to see you

The permatex may well work, but I'd take the cap to a good plumbing store and see if they can match it.

Also, there should be a gasket in it to seal it, check yours out
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Its been a while- a long winter There is an O-ring in there but it doesn't seal any longer. I tried teflon tape but it doesn't work well. I always found the permatex #2 to work much better. I just don't really want to gum up the threads but I guess it shouldn;t really matter. The #2 should clean up well with acetone I guess if I had to clean it for some reason.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4

Clean threads are a must. Getting all the old DE and Teflon out will make life much easier.

I use a toothbrush with the handle broken off to clean the threads before threading the drain cap. I then apply a turns of Teflon tape. The thread size is 1-1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread). A Hayward 1022C pipe plug fits but can be a bit a PITA to get tight or loosen when used instead of the Pentair version.

I don't recommend the use of any other sealant other than Teflon tape for this application.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't even recommend the teflon! It's the gasket, kept secure by good threads, that makes the positive seal needed on a pressurized filter, you sure as Heck don't want that puppy leaking or blowing off.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Gaskets often get cracked with age. Rather than strip the gasket off a 1022C pipe plug, a little teflon usually saves the day.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.