2019 Spring Opening

Day 16
The pool is almost there. It continues to clear everyday and I can see the main drain at the bottom of the deep end. The pollen has been heavy and it hasn’t helped, but the pool has kept on trucking towards clear. I should be in the clear by Saturday.

Since I am close to the end I started using tri-chlor tabs to help raise the CYA levels while also adding to the FC levels. I also started adding enough stabilizer to increase the CYA levels to 40 ppm. Normally I would stay at 40 ppm for the duration of the summer, but I plan on adding a SWG within the next week. So I will have to increase my CYA levels beyond that.

Looks like my Ph is a little low so I’ll have to add some Borax to raise it. I’ll probably wait until the pool is clear before tackling my Ph levels and before I start adding salt to the pool.

My current numbers:

FC - 7
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 70
CH - 180
CYA - 20
Salt - 1600

I wouldn't add anymore CYA (yet) or calcium (CAL-hypo, vinyl liner). Sometimes you will need to boost FC with liquid chlorine or plain bleach even with SWCG (after heavy use or weather event).
If you keep adding cal-hypo, it can cause cloudiness due to there not being a "need" for it.
If you can point the returns up (but away from the skimmer), so they break the water surface, your PH will come up 'naturally'.

It's looking good and you can tell you are putting dedicated effort into it!

I have already switched back to liquid chlorine a week or so ago, along with trichlor tabs, since the need for the initial large amounts of chlorine has gone down. It probably only has a couple more days of filtering before it’ll be clear. I can start really fine tuning things then.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
and most people would think we were insane. "What you didn't use any shock? Impossible!"

On a side note. Went to Walmart for de powder. They had 2. I said just 2 boxes! But literally 20 different brands of shock and at least 200 huge boxes of each brand. It was nuts. I couldn't get over how much they had. And then a small pallet of chlorine. 3 packs this year vs the 2 packs. I'm happy about that. Good value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.