2004 Sundance Optima alternating Flo temperature

I am new here and would appreciate any feedback. Question. When the spa is heating does the heater work continuously or does it heat for a few seconds, stops and continuously repeats
this cycle?
I recently replaced the flow switch and circulation pump. The tub is heating but when the jet pumps are running the read out alternates between Flo and the temperature and as described above the heater goes on off continuously . Otherwise it seems to be working fine.

I am new here and would appreciate any feedback. Question. When the spa is heating does the heater work continuously or does it heat for a few seconds, stops and continuously repeats
this cycle?
I recently replaced the flow switch and circulation pump. The tub is heating but when the jet pumps are running the read out alternates between Flo and the temperature and as described above the heater goes on off continuously . Otherwise it seems to be working fine.
FLO is an error typically associated with an airlock or otherwise general lack of water to the heater corridor. This will shut off the heater so it doesn't dry fire the element and kill it instantly.

How many pumps do you have? A spa with a true circ pump would require 240v in order to also have additional pumps for jets etc. Is that the case or are you referring to your only main 2-speed pump as the circulation pump?

Also, were these issues occurring prior to the pump and flow switch replacement? Did they only begin after?

Last edited:
Cash,

As Brad points out above...

Not sure about your tub, but on mine, if I fill up the tub with the hose in the body of the spa, I almost always get an air lock. If I follow the instructions in the manual and add water into the filter compartment, I never get an air lock.

Not sure that is your problem but something to look into.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the feedback. It is now starting to make sense that I have an air lock. What I failed to mention is that after the service technician replaced the circulation pump it was about ten days before I got to back to where the tub is and I found it deactivated with about half the water gone (still puzzled as to why). I then replaced the water which brings me back to the start of this saga. I read somewhere that Water could use a plunger to fix this problem??

spa with a true circ pump would require 240v in order to also have additional pumps for jets etc.
Not true.

read somewhere that Water could use a plunger to fix this problem??
Did you also read how you might damage plumbing when doing this? Everybody out there advising this (yes, I've seen the videos) has been lucky, or didn't actually have an airlock in the video. But it's your spa, roll the dice if you feel lucky. It'll probably be fine.

The best way to clear an airlock is to remove a hose from the circ pump and let it flow ten gallons or so. Sometimes a garden hose and a rag can push an airlock through. Always fill through the filter pipe.

Not true.
I'd love to be educated on this more. Your 26+ years trumps my 10 by an awful lot.

I've always understood 120v tubs could not support more than one pump for the same reason they often cannot also power the element. Too many amps.

I can imagine there being exceptions to this for very specific setups, but is it more common than that?

Last edited:
Not true.

Did you also read how you might damage plumbing when doing this? Everybody out there advising this (yes, I've seen the videos) has been lucky, or didn't actually have an airlock in the video. But it's your spa, roll the dice if you feel lucky. It'll probably be fine.

The best way to clear an airlock is to remove a hose from the circ pump and let it flow ten gallons or so. Sometimes a garden hose and a rag can push an airlock through. Always fill through the filter pipe.
Speaking to the technician who installed the new circulation pump - he suggested that I change the setting on the new pump from medium to high
This worked. The alternating flow/temperature disappeared. I also noticed water dripping from the hose connection where it connects to the heater which also explains why I found the tub half full and deactivated. Mystery solved. Thank you to all who offered suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.