2 speed pump start only in high speed with weak burning smell

seraph

Apr 19, 2017
Southlake
Hi,

Please kindly help diagnose my motor issue:

My pool motor has been running well for almost 5 years. 99% of the time, it ran in low speed only.
Yesterday morning after heavy rain, it won't start in low speed : humming only.
In high speed mode, it could start in humming but I can smell something burning (very weak scent), so I shut it down in a few seconds.
Motor: STS1102RV1.
Toggle: End Cover Switch Assembly - 1011431-001
My friends told me it should be bearing problem, but cannot confirm.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would suspect the humming is a bad capacitor. See the link below. The hump on top is one capacitor, and behind the back cover you may have another. Capacitors (start & run) aren't too terribly expensive and fairly easy to install if you aren't shy about it. Power disconnected of course and careful about capacitor discharge safety. I'm sure more replies will follow to assist.

Two-speed pumps should be started on high. Starting on low-speed is like trying to take off in your car in the highest gear. Most, if not all, two-speed enabled electronic time clocks (P1352ME, Intermatic is the most common) will energize the high speed circuit for a preset amount of time before switching to low even if you press the "High-speed #1 button.

I would suspect the humming is a bad capacitor. See the link below. The hump on top is one capacitor, and behind the back cover you may have another. Capacitors (start & run) aren't too terribly expensive and fairly easy to install if you aren't shy about it. Power disconnected of course and careful about capacitor discharge safety. I'm sure more replies will follow to assist.

thank you!

Can motor start in high speed if capacitor fails?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.