2 quick questions

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Background: since I discovered this site, been able to bring back to life and maintain pool (crystal clear). Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Zero issues maintaining FC but...

1). TA has always been a bit high. Month ago (when things weren’t good was in the 200s...but since the pool has been “awesome”, TA been slowly declining. Last night recorded it at 130. However, PH really likes to hover at 7.8. I’ve been trying to bring it down to 7.5ish, but it doesn’t stay there very long. Case in point, last night I recorded ph around 7.8 (maybe 7.7) - according to pool calculator added 16 oz of MA. This morning, no real change still 7.7/7.8. I’ll add more MA today, but any tips?

2). Been VERY hot here and have a July 4 pool party coming up. Will likely need to add a little water to the pool (about 0.5-1”). Will adding this water significantly impact my PH or FC - should I do it day before or
does it not really matter?

Thank you!

What is the TA of your fill water? Shoot for adjusting your ph down to 7.2----- You could easily lose 1/2 inch of water to evaporation in these temps. Refill and retest is your best option.

1) Take the pH down to 7.2, which will really help lower that TA a bit. Some SWG seem to like 7.8 pH, so when it rises back again on its own the TA should still be lower. You can repeat as needed.

2) Before any large party you'll want to boost your FC up a bit before and after to manage any spilled beer, suntan lotions, a little pee, that sort of thing. What you don't want is for your FC to bottom out and let algae in the door. You can boost with liquid chlorine for instant increase. Have fun!!

Maddie :flower:

If you want to lower TA enough that the pH rise will slow down to give you a couple days without having to add acid, then you should get aggressive about it. There's an article in Pool School, or you can just target 7.2 when you add acid. The pH will bounce back in a day or two but the extra acid you added will reduce the TA more. After you get the TA down below 80, things should get easier.

The high TA came from somewhere..... the fill water. In my case, every time I add two inches of water, I add a quart of acid and things stay stable. Your pool will be different, of course, but I can almost guarantee the pH will go up some when you add water. So do it before hand. A couple inches of clean tap water won;t have much effect on FC. A bunch of swimmers will. Bump the FC up 4 or 5 before the swimmers get in, and add more after they get out. Some people even test when the swimmers are out of the pool and eating.

Thanks everyone. So...do you recommend not adjusting TA until after I fill...which doesn’t fill until tomorrow night (party on the 4th-Wednesday)..and there might be some rain today.

Or, adjust TA now...fill tomorrow night, retest Ph, and adjust as necessary?

Thanks everyone. So...do you recommend not adjusting TA until after I fill...which doesn’t fill until tomorrow night (party on the 4th-Wednesday)..and there might be some rain today.

Or, adjust TA now...fill tomorrow night, retest Ph, and adjust as necessary?

You need to fill it up and then run all the tests (except the CYA, as obviously there will be none in there). Then treat what you need to treat.

I'd add the water as soon as possible to have time to tweak what you want before party prep goes in to overdrive.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.