2 leaks - how to fix?

Pool equipment is never bolted to the floor. The two 90 degree bends on the suction side make no real difference in the pool operation.

PVC pipe is inexpensive if you DIY. Use all schedule 40 pipe and fittings. Beware of DWV fittings sold in big box stores that are not suitable for pool pressure use.

Looking at your cartridge filter I would go with a bigger size if you have room..I agree maybe shut it down and a couple weeks and take your time..
Might find a good deal on Filter now that the peak season is over. Check amazon and ebay..I bought my first cartridge filter off ebay and saved several hundred bucks..Just research the seller

Reactions: ralphsyv
Pool equipment is never bolted to the floor. The two 90 degree bends on the suction side make no real difference in the pool operation.

What?!?! I disagree on both of those statements. Equipment is required to be attached in Florida because of hurricanes. There are holes in the base of the pump and filter - that's where it's supposed to be attached to the floor. Vibration or movement can cause damage to pipes. And looking at the user manual for the pump, 90 degree bend is not recommended and there's supposed to be 10 inches of straight pipe going into the pump.

@ajw22 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but I'm getting a lot of incorrect advice from you. If the pump is not attached to the floor, the pipes are the only thing supporting it. Vibration or pressure changes could break the pipes.

@ajw22 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but I'm getting a lot of incorrect advice from you. If the pump is not attached to the floor, the pipes are the only thing supporting it. Vibration or pressure changes could break the pipes.

Bye bye

Reactions: HermanTX
Most pool equipment is not bolted down and it's fine.

Most locations don't require that equipment be bolted down.

Here is the Florida code.

R4101.7.2 Installation. Pumps shall be installed in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.

Here are the instructions in the manual.

To reduce vibration and stress to piping, bolt the pump to the equipment pad.

Pump may be bolted to level foundation or mounting bracket.

In my opinion, the manual does not require that the pump be bolted down. I would not consider the manual wording to be a recommendation.

In any case, I don’t think that it’s required.

Some inspectors might require it if they feel that it’s necessary. The wording is ambiguous enough to allow an inspector to read it either way.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@ajw22 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but I'm getting a lot of incorrect advice from you

Ralph,

Excuse me but how would you know that? Volunteers and experts give their recommendations and advice to help people. Many aspects of pool equipment have a clear right/wrong. Some have experts that disagree. Allen gave you his recommendations to help you because you asked. I think it's a far stretch to say he's giving you a LOT of wrong advice. He's been on here for years and given many, many people a LOT of help including me.

I don't want to start a big debate on this so I won't respond any further on this thread. It's not what this forum is here for. But I do think the record needs to be complete. I understand your disappointment with your pool equipment installation but please be a little kinder to our volunteers. They are only here to help you because they like to do it.

Chris

Pool equipment is sometimes bolted to the floor. So, it's not accurate to say that it's never bolted to the floor.

Everyone does their best to provide the correct answers. We don't always get every answer right.

In any case, Allen provides good intelligent advice and is a valuable contributor to the forum. We appreciate his contributions.

Let's move forward with a spirit of cooperation and everyone being polite.

The leak in the pressure side above the pump is getting worse. The pump vibrates a lot and makes noise. I can stop the vibration when I put my foot on the base - that's why I think it should be attached to the floor so it doesn't vibrate. I'm going to redo the PVC pipes from the pump to the filter.

The weird thing is the Intermatic 104P timer - the ON stop fell off. I found it loose a month ago and tightened it by hand. Today it was missing and I found it on the floor. I put it back on and used a pliers to tighten it. Anyone else have that problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.