Mar 28, 2018
Ball, Louisiana
... and I’m about ready to give up.

21’ above ground pool
10,400 gallons
Sand filter
Ph 7.2
CYA at least 20

I left my pool unattended over winter and of course it got really bad with algae. I drained the pool but left about a foot of nasty water in it. I’ve been slamming now for 2 1/2 weeks and the pool turned from dark green to light green quickly, then has not improved for about a week and a half. I’ve been bouncing my FC between 11 and 16ppm. SLAM chart calls for 10ppm.

I just opened another bottle of Pool Essential 10% chlorine from Walmart (mill date 19 354) and it does not smell like chlorine. It has no smell to it at all.

Questions: Could my TF100 test kit be giving me false readings? Is my chlorine bad? What’s the max time a SLAM process should be complete?

I’ve SLAMed before but have never had this problem. I’m about ready to stop the SLAM, drain the pool all the way, and start over. My daughters are going to be super mad at me if I don’t have this pool ready by Wednesday of nest week!

Last edited:
If water is available then a drain and refill may be the quickest path. After the refill you need to do a quick SLAM to get rid of algae on the pool surfaces and pipes and filter.

We have seen where a dirty sand filter seemed to drag out the SLAM and once the sand was deep cleaned the water cleared quickly.

Yous hould be testing FC, adding LC, then testing to see your FC increased to your target. That also confirms your test kit and chlorine are good.

Reactions: Micah6.8
You should have a CYA of 30 for a SLAM. Otherwise your FC is being used up by the sun rather than attacking the organics.

Are you testing and adding LC several times per day?

To check your LC, add what you should to reach your SLAM level FC. Wait about 30 minutes (pump running) and test the FC. You should be close to your SLAM level FC.

Thanks for the responses
FC - 20 (because I aggravated before I posted this thread and dumped 1/2 gal in the pool to see if it jump. It went from 14 to 20)
CC - unknown
Ph - 7.2
TA - 50
CYA - the black dot disappears between the 20 and 30 mark so at least 20.

Last week I pulled the head off the filter to inspect the sand. I was in great shape. No algae or gunk in the filter. The pump is clear also. This is why I’m confused, my test kit shows that my chlorine is good but I sure thought that straight 10% chlorine would burn your nose if smelled it. And, my SLAM seems to have not made anymore progress. Here’s a pic of the pool as it stands now. I can see the bottom of the pool But it has stayed this color for a while now with no change. Thoughts?
1C96479E-C1F6-4696-B7D9-2473E67A13D1.jpeg

Last edited:
We round CYA up. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we call CYA 30.

Why no CC test? CC gives you an idea of how much algae is being killed.

How often are you testing your FC and raising the water back up to your FC target?

How much FC are you losing between tests in how many hours?

We round CYA up. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we call CYA 30.

Why no CC test? CC gives you an idea of how much algae is being killed.

How often are you testing your FC and raising the water back up to your FC target?

How much FC are you losing between tests in how many hours?
I had forgotten what CC stands for. I typically add chlorine once a day in the mornings to bring it up to 16. It has usually dropped from 16 to 11 by the next morning. The days that I have checked it at night, then again the next morning, it has gone from 16 to 14 and I would give it a shot to bring it back up to 16.

BTW - I work in the grocery industry so the last three weeks has been a nightmare.

The more often you check the FC level and bring it back up the faster things will clear.

With CYA 30 you just need to bring it up to 12, Bringing it higher just wastes chlorine and does not speed things up.

CC test is steps 6-8 in...

The more often you check the FC level and bring it back up the faster things will clear.

With CYA 30 you just need to bring it up to 12, Bringing it higher just wastes chlorine and does not speed things up.

CC test is steps 6-8 in...

I just test the CC and it registered 0. However, my R-0003 expired in 6/19.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From your good picture (thanks) it appears you simply haven't been adding FC like you should. Chlorine kills algae but it must be constantly applied for it to clear your pool.

The SLAM works and when we see it not working it is almost ALWAYS from lack of constant additions to return your chlorine to SLAM value.

If it was my pool, I would check FC and bring it back to 12-14 tomorrow AM. Run your pump 24/7....never turn it off. Are you brushing to stir up the dead algae so it can get filtered out? Once daily is plenty.

Watch your filter pressure and backwash when psi goes 25% above normal.

Reread the SLAM article and make sure you are following it to the letter.

The SLAM works on thousands of pools.....it'll work on yours, too, if you follow every detail in the SLAM article.

I just test the CC and it registered 0. However, my R-0003 expired in 6/19.
You say its expired and in fact it is. If your kit are all from that date it's time for a refill from tftkits. The most you keep the regents are 2 seasons and that's if it's stored properly, not overheating it in the summer and not freezing it winter You will not get accuracy and the chemicals you throw at the pool unnecessarily will cost you what the refill will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.