1yr old fiberglass pool - white staining under waterline with balanced pool. calcium?

MoogMan

Aug 9, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

We have a 1yr old 10,000 gallon SWG fiberglass pool. I am prettty anal with water chemistry, checking and balancing every other day or so using Taylor test kit, and going by the ranges and levels suggested here and in the pool math app. Chemistry has been stable.

I drained my pool after a heavy rain - an inch lower than usual and noticed the shell is incredibly white after just 1 year.

The fiberglass company suspect calcium build-up, however I have been keeping my calcium at 200pm from the day we had the pool. The technician suggested I lower this to 50ppm and use Jacks Magic scale off to help remove the calcium.

Today I dropped the pool level to the top step, and this is almost completely white. I rubbed a small amount of muriatic acid in a small spot see if it would cut through but it didn’t really do a hugging.

I then took a very fine sanding block and tested on a small part, which seemed to bring back the blue.

Is this expected after just one year? I do have a pool heater and have read that warmer temps can exacerbate the issue. My pool is in direct sunlight all day, but I keep my CYA at the correct level, and the chlorine according to that.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpeg
    IMG_2187.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 27
Looks just like my scenario (link below). If so, probably not much you can do. No good explanation yet as to why some FG gelcoats seem to change. Feel free to post your test logs though, or if you use PoolMath, link those test logs to your TFP profile here so we can see them.

Please be sure to do this survey. We're looking to try and connect the dots to any unusually patterns in FG shells.

Looks just like my scenario (link below). If so, probably not much you can do. No good explanation yet as to why some FG gelcoats seem to change. Feel free to post your test logs though, or if you use PoolMath, link those test logs to your TFP profile here so we can see them.

Please be sure to do this survey. We're looking to try and connect the dots to any unusually patterns in FG shells.

Thanks Texas, I have indeed read your detailed record of your struggle. Thank you. I fear I am in the same boat. Quite can’t believe it - it has only been a year. Manufacturer is sure it is calcium and will be helped by power blue scale which I am starting this Monday.

I have always kept my calcium at 200 or so, and have fairly soft water in my area (30ppm from the faucet). They have suggested to lower it to between 50 and 100ppm.

Manufacturer is sure it is calcium and will be helped by power blue scale which I am starting this Monday.
Before adding - last report I see from forum was very suspect re: that product.

I thought my signature is complete? Am I missing some info? Thanks.
You profile is complete and over…
<<<——— here

Your signature is separate and goes down at the bottom. If you are on a phone you need to turn your phone and view messages in landscape to see it.

This is a bit frightening as a FG pool owner.

But then the forum is also full of people having issues with their plaster or with their liner.

Pooling has it's challenges it seems! The positive is it seems like it is a cosmetic issue rather than anything that would cause the pool to be compromised. Based on @Texas Splash experience it is probably something you will have to come to terms with.

I have the same issue. I rubbed some muriatic acid on the white stain and it didn't change it one bit so I don't think its calcium deposits. I followed Texas Splash's story. I guess I'm just another one with an affected pool.

IMG_2934.jpg

Last edited:
I've fought this issue like Texas since 2016. Pool installation in 2015. I even went with Ecofinish as a remedy. I still get chalking/fading. I still bounce between fading/chalking due to UV exposure or chlorine even though I'm rarely above 5 or 6 ppm FC. I shock with no chlorine shock and followed Ecofinish maintenance. Fighting issue now. Ecofinish has me trying ascorbic acid. My calcium has always been low. Here's what and when I notice it. I use pucks in early spring and switch to SWG around June. Once temps get up in 90s I start to notice issues. I thought to myself is this some kind of salt staining. I still have no idea. I can brush a lot to get darker blue back. I can use those green scrub pads as well. It's a heck of task though. Oddly when brushing or scrubbing you can see blue-ish residue coming off. Makes me think oxidation but installers swear that's not the case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've fought this issue like Texas since 2016. Pool installation in 2015. I even went with Ecofinish as a remedy. I still get chalking/fading. I still bounce between fading/chalking due to UV exposure or chlorine even though I'm rarely above 5 or 6 ppm FC. I shock with no chlorine shock and followed Ecofinish maintenance. Fighting issue now. Ecofinish has me trying ascorbic acid. My calcium has always been low. Here's what and when I notice it. I use pucks in early spring and switch to SWG around June. Once temps get up in 90s I start to notice issues. I thought to myself is this some kind of salt staining. I still have no idea. I can brush a lot to get darker blue back. I can use those green scrub pads as well. It's a heck of task though. Oddly when brushing or scrubbing you can see blue-ish residue coming off. Makes me think oxidation but installers swear that's not the case.
It seems to be a fairly common issue - and pool manufacturers seem to immediately blame poor water chemistry when that is not the case - especially with us TFP fanatics. I’m at my wits end with it in all honesty. I know it’s just cosmetic but it was a lot of money.