1st time pool, new home, long time closed IG pool, Surprising find!

Dan,

Welcome to TFP!

First a couple of questions. Why are you slamming? What test kit are you using? Be sure you've read and understand the SLAM process before you start. If you haven't already done so read this link and ask any questions you may have. Based on your description your pH is very low you need to raise the pH as soon as possible. CYA is acidic so don't do that first. Even though you have a vinyl pool pH in your range will damage equipment. Use Soda Ash per instructions and aeration.

Please also add your information in the Signature. Click on your screen name above right then click again on "signature" and fill in the box then press "save". This will save a cycle of questions when you ask for advice. Information like pool size, type, pump and other equipment brands plus model numbers are extremely helpful.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Also you can use 10ml of water and one scoop of powder for the FC and CC test. Each drop is 0.5ppm. Will save you reagents!

I'm weirded out by the number of people doing a 25ml test and posting these super specific results. Back in the day no one knew one could bother with that test. TFP works at less specific numbers. What's happening with test kits pointing people to not use 10ml?

I'm weirded out by the number of people doing a 25ml test and posting these super specific results. Back in the day no one knew one could bother with that test. TFP works at less specific numbers. What's happening with test kits pointing people to not use 10ml?
It's the first thing the test kit suggests.... so that's what I did. Lol

Ahh, I see you're using the Taylor kit. It's weird that Taylor is kinda like a pool store... 10ml is good for our purposes here. Funny how using less specific tests means you ultimately get crystal clear water.

Taylor makes great tests. Clearly they also market so that they can sell more reagents.

As far as a SLAM is concerned, I would start by putting in enough CYA to bring you up to 30.
Up your chlorine accordingly, and see if it holds where it should.

So an update. After alot of chlorine, brushing , and fighting with me DE filter we have achieved the following test results

==========================================
Home
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 17234 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (3 hours ago)
CC: 1.0 (3 hours ago)
pH: 7.8 (3 hours ago)
TA: 80 (3 hours ago)
CH: 140 (2 days ago)
CYA: 0 (2 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 85° (3 hours ago)
My pH jumped a little high on me with my last soda ash addition so I added the recommended acid dose (eyeballed it anyway). Water looks good. Just fighting this DE filter to get all the algae cleaned out. I think I will enjoy the filter once I get the pool Trouble Free, but right now I could light it on fire. I've had to disassemble it twice already and recharge.

* CYA is still dissolving so I havent retested for it yet.

DE filters are a pain during a slam, and I especially don't like the bump style DE filter like the Perflex. In my opinion bumping doesn't gain you much of anything. Also if you have a lot of tree debris you may find yourself cleaning a DE filter more often than sand or cartridge. When you replace the filter, go for the largest one you can afford, regardless of the type and you will be able to go much longer between cleanings.

Dan,

Looks like you're making progress and yes DE filters can be frustrating. Seems like there are qualified experts that like every kind of filter out there but more and more seem to be migrating to sand and cartridge. I have the latter only because it was what came with the pool but I have to say it's been easy peasy and pool has been crystal clear for 5 years with TFP.

I'm a little confused about status of your SLAM. Originally Marty recommended you get to 30 ppm on CYA and keep adding liquid chlorine to get to 3 ppm FC each day 'till your test kit comes. Looks like kit came and you added CYA. You'll need to squeeze the sock a couple times per day to get it to dissolve. Looks like you did great on raising the pH and could add a little MA to get down to the SLAM pH range. Normally we recommend getting it to 7.2-7.5 before you start the SLAM. Then add and maintain the FC level. At first this can be difficult but with your pool so clear it should be easier. Check at least once an hour later to be sure you're maintaining. If not, top off to SLAM level. It is key is Maintain not just reach SLAM level. You'll be done when the pool is clear (looks like you already meet this), CC is .5 or below, and you pass the OCLT test. Soon after that you'll be in TFP mode... way more enjoy pool time, way less time working on it and throwing $ in it.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thankyou everyone for you tips and help. After a week of testing and balancing, scrubbing and vacuuming, and a step learning curve the pool has achieved homeostasis. With a minor addition of about 20 -30oz of 6% a day I've achieved the following.
Home
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 17234 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 2.0 (yesterday)
CC: 0.0 (yesterday)
pH: 7.4 (yesterday)
TA: 70 (2 days ago)
CH: 140 (5 days ago)
CYA: 0 (4 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 90° (yesterday)
========================================
With the exception of today (as I'm at work) I've tested every day at noon and come up with very similar results. FC usually 2 or 2.5 and I add a little more than PM suggests to get up to 3. So I'm losing between .5 and 1 ppm from noon to noon. I need to retest CYA now that it's all dissolved.

Attachments

• 20190723_141731.jpg
    20190723_141731.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: CarolineM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.