Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy I dea I had

1. Back To Top    #1

Crazy I dea I had

Ok, so I was bored. We had upwards of 9 inches of rain on Saturday and the pool was FILTHY. Leaves, small branches etc. I was in the pool cleaning the leaves and branches when I had an idea....
    I backwashed the DE out of the filter, Attatched a skimmer sock (with Zip Ties..I love zip ties) to the return jet so it would catch anything that bypassed the filter, and ran the filter for a long while. I was shocked at how much the filter was "missing". I got a new skimmer sock, attatched it to the return, added more DE and let it run for another long while.......
    There was almost nothing in the skimmer sock. I was amazed again!
    So, now I have proven to my husband( who hates the pool) that DE does improve the filtration of a sand filter, and he thought I was crazy for putting it in there.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2
    i hear also that you can use bleach instead of chlorine tablets. What will they think up next?!??!!?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by poolio
    i hear also that you can use bleach instead of chlorine tablets. What will they think up next?!??!!?
    The last warning was the last warning. There is no reason for such rudeness. Apparently, you have your heart set on being banned, so I wil oblige.

Sorry you couldn't get along.

Sean
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks, edbson, for the report!

There are many who swear by the DE, and others who don't see a difference at all. Glad to know it worked for you! Perhaps the folks who don't see a difference have sparkly clear water already, so there is nothing left for the DE to trap!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    Quote Originally Posted by poolio
    The last warning was the last warning. There is no reason for such rudeness. Apparently, you have your heart set on being banned, so I wil oblige.

Sorry you couldn't get along.

Sean
    I was going to do a poll on the first person to get kicked off - but Poolio was the only option.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

6. Back To Top    #6
    My water was nowhere near sparkly or clear, but it is improving by the hour!
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

7. Back To Top    #7

I think it's a great idea with the skimmer sock.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Our pool always looks better if using some DE, this was an excellent method of proving it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thankyou!!
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, Sean!!

11. Back To Top    #11
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

Great idea, I agree on the zap straps..love them here, after all, if they are good enough for police usage, they must work on pools lol