cartridge filter suggestions

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
In my quest to defeat the neverending pollen problem in my pool, I have decided to look for a cartridge filter to replace the sand filter. Pool is a 24ft AGP and I would like to keep the 2 speed 1hp sta rite pump I currently have. I know that alot of you suggest going with a larger than normal filter for the pool size.
Questions are: What size range should I be looking for? Can I reuse the existing pump(that has its outlet on the top and not the side)? And what brands come recommended?
The three that I am looking at now are: Hayward Xstream(120sqft 38,400 gal 8 hour filter rate) Pentair clean and clear(100sqft 48,000 gal 8 hr. filter rate) and sta-rite system2(100sqft 48,000gal 8hr) I am seeing these 3 in a Doheny's catalog and they sell filter only as well as filter/pump(which I don't need)
Thoughts?

I have a StaRite 450 SF cartridge, and I sell a lot of Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 SF filters. Either one of these is a great filter (I know they are bigger than what you are considering, but I would go that route instead of smaller). I have never been a fan of Hayward's products.

Either of those filters would work great with your current pump also.

Well, Doheny's shows a 150 sq ft Pentair Clean and Clear for an AGP. I think that'd work. it's part # 7655. I've got a knockoff Hayward Xstream 150 sq ft, and I have to clean it maybe once a season. Only thing I don't like about it is it uses a back-fitted pressure gauge that's recessed into the unit instead of a bottom-fitted gauge. I've went through three gauges, they all get water in them and fail within a month or two. I was going to go with a glycerin-filled gauge, but finding a back-fitted one with the right scale is kind of difficult. The Pentair unit has a bottom-fitted gauge, which seems like everyone carries. Just MHO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.