TheMilkman's Pool Build Journal

Well it's been a wild couple of days here in NC. As for the pool this is where we were yesterday with even more work completed today.

4734555446_fcf63c1ca6.jpg

While digging the trench for the retaining wall they nicked my power line so a call to Duke Power and an emergency line fix later, I am waiting to get my bill. In the meantime I've been battling a lower abdomen pain that won't go away and the doc wants to open me up to do some exploratory surgery which will keep me out of my brand new pool for 4-6 weeks. :hammer:

Was going to do the retaining wall ourselves but will have to either live with the moat behind the pool for a month or so or hire it out. This has been an interesting build and I have learned a lot for next time....

From the pic above...at least it looks like you have a good super on the job if you'll be laid up.

On a serious note, good luck with the abdomen thing.

Yes, she is a tough customer to please.

PB finished up the pool bonding and got it approved yesterday. Everything is installed except for the Aqua-Rite. We held off on concrete to get our retaining wall and matching steps completed while we are gone on vacation. PB is going to wrap up the electrical and frame for concrete while we are gone.

Pool is being filled and should be warm and ready to swim in when we get back. It's been a long road and we wonder if it was really worth it, but hopefully that first swim will make it all worth while.

Ready for concrete -

photo-760793.JPG

Thanks for the update, your pool looks awesome! I'm quite sure you'll look back one day soon and agree that it was totally worth it!

I can't begin explain how much I love my pool. It has given me countless hours of fun with my family and friends, not to mention the therapeutic value it holds. Minutes in the pool can melt away hours of stress after a long day at the office.

We got back Tuesday night and called the PB the next morning to set up the concrete. Plumbing was finished while we were gone, retaining wall installed but they did not get the pump running so I have a very dirty pool right now. Was really hoping to come back and be able to swim without the concrete poured. Oh well....waiting on call to get pump running and concrete installed.

Here are some pics of the retaining wall and steps, the guy did an amazing job on it.

photo-752611.JPG

photo-794403.JPG

The fence will go in front of the pump so it will be less visible and I am building a shed to go over it to keep the sun off the pump and filter. I'll post up again once the concrete is layed and we are hopfully swimming in the pool....

Hopefully your pump is running. Our water went in on 7-9-10 and the pump wasn't operational until 7-13-10, so a full four days without a pump turned our pool pretty nasty, as well. As of today, it's looking much better, but could use a good vacuum job. We're out of town, so it won't happen until we return tomorrow, and at this point I'm not even sure the vacuum is at our home. By the way, how do your steps match your liner? If you recall, we also went with the blue granite step, and at first I didn't think they matched the liner that well, but after the water went in it all looks really good. Please don't forget to post your finished pictures - it looks beautiful with the retaining wall, and I can't wait to see the final product.

themilkman said:
Thanks for the recommendations guys....here's the story on the 2' of concrete decking.

Before I put in the pool the powerline had to be moved but they were unable to route it the way I wanted. It is buried approximately 6' from the waters edge. We figured we would not really use the back of the pool like if you put the wall right on the edge of the pool but the best location for the skimmer and piping was on the back. So, we said well let's just put a couple of feet for butt room and to clean out the skimmer. The deck jets were also going to be installed in the river rock so I didn't have to install in the concrete in case we changed our minds or they broke, etc.

Now am wondering if I maybe want the room to walk all the way around for skimming and vacuuming. Anyone out there with access to only 1 side of your pool regret it?

Here is a top view down pic of the concrete and pool for reference.

Overhead+Layout.JPG

The skimmer is where the 2' dimension for the concrete on the back of the pool is.

What program did you use to make that model of the pool & house?

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pump is up and running, some start up chemicals installed and we should be swimming tomorrow. The step and liner were close in color just slightly off but with the water in it matches really well. Really glad I upgraded to the larger piping and got the Pentair multi speed pump. It is very very quiet and really pushes the water. I broomed and did some vacuuming yesterday night and the water was clear and clean in the morning. One more vacuum and backflush and we should be good to go.

I was all ready to get an automated cleaner but I actually find the vacuuming very therapeutic. Ask me again after 6 months and we'll see if I still say that :-D

As for the program that I did the drawings in, it's called Pro-Engineer. More of a Mechanical Design package than Architectural but it does the job. Very expensive tho....

themilkman said:
Pump is up and running, some start up chemicals installed and we should be swimming tomorrow. The step and liner were close in color just slightly off but with the water in it matches really well. Really glad I upgraded to the larger piping and got the Pentair multi speed pump. It is very very quiet and really pushes the water. I broomed and did some vacuuming yesterday night and the water was clear and clean in the morning. One more vacuum and backflush and we should be good to go.

I was all ready to get an automated cleaner but I actually find the vacuuming very therapeutic. Ask me again after 6 months and we'll see if I still say that :-D

As for the program that I did the drawings in, it's called Pro-Engineer. More of a Mechanical Design package than Architectural but it does the job. Very expensive tho....

Thanks for posting your journey. What made you decide on the larger piping? I'm tying to decide if I should go with 1.5" or 2. The builders tell me it is cut for 1.5 but they can make it bigger....it's up to us.

Hi Milkman!
How is your abs doing, any better?
Are there any wrinkles in your liner? I can't see any if I look at that pic that your posted with your daughter, looks completely smooth judge from that. Looks very skillful to be able to take measures on a pool with a deepend to get it to fit like that. That is really nice piece of workmanship :goodjob:
And I repeat what someone else said! Don't forget to give us pictures, not only when it's compleated but all the way during the construction that is left :-D

Malibu07 said:
Thanks for posting your journey. What made you decide on the larger piping? I'm tying to decide if I should go with 1.5" or 2. The builders tell me it is cut for 1.5 but they can make it bigger....it's up to us.

I decided on the larger piping after getting some recommendations from the "What would you do if you had to do it over again thread". I am very glad I did, even my PB was impressed after it was all hooked up and running. You can really turn the pool over quick which really helped to clear up the pool. The cost difference was only a couple hundred dollars with the larger valves and all. It's always better to have more flow than you need than not enough.

Henry Porter said:
Hi Milkman!
How is your abs doing, any better?
Are there any wrinkles in your liner? I can't see any if I look at that pic that your posted with your daughter, looks completely smooth judge from that. Looks very skillful to be able to take measures on a pool with a deepend to get it to fit like that. That is really nice piece of workmanship :goodjob:
And I repeat what someone else said! Don't forget to give us pictures, not only when it's compleated but all the way during the construction that is left :-D

I'll continue with the pictures for sure. No wrinkles in my liner and it looks great, I am very happy with my PB in that regard. The construction of the pool was top notch so far and I am pushing him to get the concrete perfect also. I am planning on running the concrete right up to the steps and retaining wall so we have to be very careful to not splash. They are going to have to wheelbarrow most of the backside anyway tho.

Side is still bad, luckily my doctor is my neighbor so if it gets too bad I just walk over to his house. One more test on Monday but he is almost sure it's my gallbladder that's got to come out. I need to swim as much as I can until then or superglue up my hole so I can keep swimming :goodjob:

Fun day....my PB decided to fire his concrete guy the day before my deck is to be poured. Says my pour is delayed and he will probably have to use another company that uses their own guys. Be more expensive but I said not to me it won't.

This really has been a wild trip. So close to being done, hopefully somebody can learn from my journey.

And the construction is done. It's been a long and expensive journey (did we really start in March?) but we love how the pool turned out. Enjoying it everyday and it is very relaxing just to be able to sit out by the pool after work.

Landscaping and some patio umbrellas this weekend.

photo-777851.JPG

photo-791899.JPG

photo-710043.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.