18x36 Inground poly wall renovation project

Pohouse

Nov 30, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Hello. I have been researching and reading this site all winter preparing for our project. A ton of GREAT info. We purchased a house 4 years ago with a non-functioning 18x36 IG pool, vinyl, poly wall, 6" radius corner. Over the last few years we have been undecided on whether to renovate or remove. I had 3 pool contractors out at various times, including the original builder. The pool is 30 years old, but was well built. It has been empty for at least 12 years. All the PB's say the pool can be repaired. Even though it's been empty, the walls are straight and coping excellent. Light works, plumbing lines pressure test good, with the exception of the bottom drain line. 1 1/2" PVC. drain and skimmer suctions and 2 returns. Also has a 3/4" cleanout line and 3/4" water line to the slide. The current liner is garbage and the sand bottom, especially in the deep end needs extensive repair. When pressed for estimates, all 3 PB's were quite reluctant to even speculate. One said 12k just to rebuild the bottom. Current equipment is dated, I need/want all new. These contractors have plenty of work, alot of new installs and my project is just not what they are looking to jump into. I'm an exteriors contractor, so I understand their position. Alot of unknowns here. 10-12k is our budget.
After 2 years of research, we've decided to do the majority of work ourselves. I have the time and equipment.
There are 3 structure adjustments we would like to make.
#1. Change the bottom. Current 8' deep end and 3'4" shallow. We are removing diving board, keeping slide. We want a bigger shallow end. Raise hopper to 6', install double drain and extend the shallow end 2 or 3 feet. I would like to go with vermiculite (pool krete). No issues with ground water.
#2. Install vinyl over corner steps 7'x7'. Open top design. Planning on purchasing a step kit, which measurements can be given to the liner maker.
#3. Small stone water feature to be built by mason subcontractor. (2' sheer decent) at the head of the pool. Electricity and water will be easy to stub in there.

Going salt. Looking at Pentair VS pump (size to be determined). Yet to calculate head and adjustments with pool bottom.
Mastertemp 400k NG heater, sand filter. I like the pentair intellitouch interface. I may have a PB install the equipment. I'm getting quotes with exact equipment recommendations from them.

Questions.
#1. I would like to order the liner asap due to time delays. Looking at 27 mil. I would be building the bottom to fit the liner measurements, including the step. Am I way out of line on this or is this what PB's do? Order the liner, then build the pool.
#2. Currently no heater installed. Small area for equipment. (see pic). How would you layout the equipment?
# 3. Will I recognize any savings if I purchase the pump, heater, filter, salt cell, etc and have a PB install? Or better for PB to obtain and install the package? I would prefer we pick the equipment together and they obtain it and install it, start to finish, including any permits/inspections.

This is a brief overview. So many other details I didn't get into. I hope to post updates as the project will begin soon. Do you think we can complete this project with 12k?Full.jpgSkimmer.jpegSouthwest corner.jpegEquip.jpegEquip location.jpeg

Hi, welcome to TFP! I will ask a couple of experts to give their opinion, but I believe it would be better to measure for a liner after you raise the hopper. For your equipment pad, you can divert the downspout of the gutter and gain a couple of feet of pad space. I would rebuild the pad so that everything connects with unions to make it easier to remove equipment for repairs, and good quality valves to control water flow. Since you are replacing everything, a cartridge filter will take up the least amount of space on your pad. You won't need a backwash line but it would be good to plumb in a waste line between the pump and filter for occasions when you may need to drain water.
As for the main drain, you could simply cap that line off and not have a main drain. They are not essential for pool operation and tend to develop leaks over time.

@JamesW @jimmythegreek

Last edited:
It breaks my heart to hear of nice deep pools being brought up to a depth that is unsafe for diving. I love to dive in, my kids and grandkids love to dive in, do cannon balls safely..... and 6' depth is too short to dive, and you hit bottom doing a cannon ball. :pth:
How about 7' at least?? :giggle:

Let My People Dive!!! :laughblue:

Maddie :flower:

• Haha
Reactions: Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.