Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help choosing a pump!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help choosing a pump!

I need to replace a my pump. I have an old doughboy 1.5hp and it's going bad.

11,000 gallon above ground pool, salt, doughboy filter with 2sq ft. filter area and 225lbs. sand
    1.5" plumbing close to 30' long and I think it normaly runs at 11.5 psi.

I was thinking that 1hp would be enough with the better pumps these days. Tell me your thoughts.

These are the 3 pumps I am looking at. I want energy efficient and quietness. Trying to stay under $300

I like the quick disconects on the speck but was told that parts would be hard to come by.
    http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps_speck_e91_poolstor.htm

this one also has quick disconects. It says it's energy efficient
    http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps_hayw...x_poolstor.htm

this one was suggested
    http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps_pacfab_dynamo.htm

If there are any others you would suggest please tell why.
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help choosing a pump!

honestly, I think the 3/4 hp would be enough for 11K gals...but hopefully some with more plumbing experience will chime in soon
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I agree, 3/4 Hp is enough. Also, I would stick with Hayward or Pentair with Pentair having a slight edge.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

ok so pentair is the choice. I run my pump from 0100 to 0500 and from 1300 1700 each day and i set my SWG to 20% output So will I have to run the pentair for longer periods? Will i need to change the SWG output?

Also for vacuuming I suppose it will take alot longer with only 3/4 HP vs. my 1.5 HP that I currently have?
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

A 1 1/2 HP pump has about 1.25x the flow rate and 2x the energy use of a 3/4 HP pump so you should only need to run the 3/4 HP pump about 25% longer than your current pump but you should end up saving about 40% in energy costs.

The vacuum will slow down a bit but it should be proportional to the flow rate so given the run time is longer, it should do about the same job as it did before.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

ok thanks mas985

I use TF Test Kit