How big is your propane tank

For 400,000 btu/hr at 30 degrees Fahrenheit, ideally you would use a 500 gallon tank.

The larger tank is to provide more surface area of the liquid propane in contact with the container walls and open surface area above the liquid propane.

The liquid propane needs to boil and become a gas. To do this, the liquid needs to absorb heat from the tank walls and the walls need to absorb heat from the air (if above ground) or from the earth if below ground.

Having an undersized tank can result in frosting of the outer tank surface as the liquid absorbs heat from the tank walls. The walls can get too cold causing condensation and if cold enough, the condensation can freeze. Frosting of the tank reduces it's ability to absorb the heat needed to boil the liquid into gas.

For a 500 gallon tank, assuming that the usable volume is 300 gallons (80% max fill to 20% recommended minimum fill), a 400,000 btu/hr heater can run about 68.5 hours on a full (80%) tank.

I need to rethink / restate

I don’t think we will ever use our pool in 30 degree weather, and I doubt the spa.

If the spa only is being used in 30 degree weather do the same rules apply? IE. Less water to heat

I would think the pool would be used in 50 degree weather.

Texas pool people help me out, when is your pool useable/not useable.

I’m assuming that there a few months that we just won’t use it?

Your pool is a bit larger than ours, but i know we will only be using the spa during the winter and not heating the pool. We are putting a 500 gallon tank in below ground but we will also be hooking a standby generator to it. The pool can function without heat, but my house will need to have power for several days. If you plan on adding anything else to the tank, spend a little more money up front and get as big as you can.

Our previous pool had a spa, pool, fire pit and outdoor kitchen all on a 500 gallon tank. This was a good size and we filled when it would reach about 25%. We never heated the pool but used the other all the time. One tank would last from a year to year and a half. We also had 400,000 btu heater. I would seriously look at the 500.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.