Pentair help NEEDED - 3mo Journey for Screws!

Jeffnhelen

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2018
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have been dealing with Pentair support for the past 3 months to get them to send me the proper screws to mount the CVA actuators that came with my ET8 P/S and a separate Intellivalve. I can't be the only one trying to put Pentair Actuators onto Pentair Valves, but according to them no one else has reported this problem.
My pool was finished back in September so I wanted to get my actuators installed to control the water features when I realized the longer actuator screw was getting difficult to screw in after only a couple threads. I pull the screw back out and compare it to the one I just took out of the valve and notice quite a few things different:

The top screw is the one out of my Pentair CPVC 3-way valve.
The middle screw is one out of a Hayward valve the PB installed.
The bottom screw is the longer one that came with the actuators.

As you can see the Hayward and actuator screws are essentially the same save for the length. But the top screw that came out of the Pentair valve is a self-tapping, high-low thread with a larger helix angle (meaning more slope to thread). The high-low is supposed to allow for a better bite into softer material with less chance to back-out from lateral forces and vibrations -- perfect for this use case. Conversely, the actuator screws were just a standard thread (non)self-tapping screw that would install nicely into the Hayward valve, but would cross-thread the Pentair valve. Support had some difficulty in understanding what was wrong and thought that I had a mix of old and new that was incompatible, but after receiving several replacements from them with the same incorrect screw I was finally able to convince them to send out a field rep to lay eyes on the situation. His 1-minute analysis was to just put (force) the longer screws in as thats just how they come... When I asked about cross-threading the valve he said those screws are only meant to hold the actuator on and not to apply any real pressure to keep the valve lid onto the body. Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these valve manufacturers would use eight screws when only four are really necessary :scratch: I find that hard to believe as I already have an untouched valve that has a slow leak from where the lid joins the body.

With that said, I see someone posted this back in 2009, but nothing easily searchable since (Pentair / Compool valve actuator mounting screws). So has no one else had this problem or are you guys just forcing the actuator screws into the valve?

The old thread you linked to says you can get the long screw with the correct thread from mcmaster.com

Pentair / Compool valve actuator mounting screws

Thank you for the reply, but I was more or less asking what others have done in this situation as I only found that one post. I did visit that site, but wasn’t able to locate the exact screw that the OP discribed, so I sent a PM, but not sure if they are still active on this site. Again, we can’t be the only two to notice this or not want to use a mismatched screw.

Try Bolt Depot. Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online
They have a ton of hard to find hardware. I use them quite often for firearms being built.

You could maybe step up one size with a self tapping stainless screw and be just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will need some way to find out what the specs of the original screw are before I am able to find them on either of those sites. Guess I’ll try to take it to a hardware store and see if they have something to find that out with...thinking the pitch of the thread is gonna make it a little more difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.