Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair / Compool valve actuator mounting screws

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair / Compool valve actuator mounting screws

I just replaced an older compool 3 way valve with a new Pentair valve. They looked essentially the same. When I went to mount the actuator I discovered that the screws used on the new valve have a different thread. I have the original 4 longer screws that hold the actuator to the valve. The original screws are 1/4-20 thread. The new screws are a self-tapping high-low thread that I had never seen before. A local fastener place suggested that I run a 1/4-20 tap into the threads and use the old screws. Before I realized the screws were not the same, I started to thread one in and it seemed to go in but was tight. Can I use the old screws? What about the tapping idea? Where can I get the right screws? I see packs of 4 for $12-$20 but I don't know if I will get the same longer screws I already have. Thanks.
    16x32 Inground Gunite Pool, 1965, renovated, epoxy painted.
    Hayward Ecostar Pump
    6' Conical Franciscan Woodworks Teak Hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair / Compool valve actuator mounting screws

Through much internet searching I have discovered that the screws needed are a 1/4-14 thread forming pan head stainless steel 1-1/2 inch screw. Nobody that I can find seems to sell that precise screw. McMaster.com has the right thread, length, and ss screw but with a self drilling tip. It would probably work but since it has no threads at the tip it may have very few threads actually doing the holding. There is a set of 4 screws with Pentair part number CVASCRJ that are apparently the right screws, but when I called an online store to inquire about quick delivery they said none of the warehouses have it and it would have to be drop-shipped from the manufacturer. They are slow he said.

Very frustrating.
    Hayward Ecostar Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair / Compool valve actuator mounting screws

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same problem, the screws with the self-drilling tips from McMaster.com work great. Only about $10 plus $4.75 shipping for 25 of them. I have quite a few extra so send me a message if you need some and I will sell them cheap. BTW, mcmaster.com is great. If you have not discovered them yet, you should. They have a great hardware selection, their web site selection search system works well, their prices are usually very good, and they ship immediately.
    Hayward Ecostar Pump