Recommendation on SWG

Sep 10, 2012
Tampa, Fl.
Tired of carrying chlorine jugs and planning to convert to a SWG in the spring. So many different brands and choices available. Would like some recommendations on a brand and model that members feel does a good job. Unable to do the conversion myself, so looking for someone in the Tampa Bay area of Florida that does a good job. Would prefer to stay away from the Pinch a Penny etc. installations. Thanks.

Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy SWG all work well.

Pentair has the elecronics integrated with the cell. You just have a small power box on a wall. When you replace the cell you get all new ekectronics. But replacement cells cost more.

Hayward has a simplier cell with electronics and control panel mounted on a wall.

Get an oversized cell for a 40K pool.

Find an installer you like and find out which brands he has experience with.

ajw22: Thank you for the quick reply and getting the recommendations started in helping me choose the best SWG for my pool. I tend to over-study at times on making decisions, but feel the expertise on this forum is invaluable. Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

One thing to consider when selecting a SWG system, is what is gonna cost you to fix if something goes wrong.
The pentair has all controlns in the cell itself and you'll have to replace the whole cell if something happens. That cell cost 600. I know, because I just bought a replacement. Im not complaining, the 1st lasted a long long time and Im very happy with my IC40.

The Hayward cell is just a cell, and doesnt cost nearly as much and the controller can be usually easily repaired or parts replaced for not a lot of money. (generally speaking). Hayward is by far, the most widely used SWG in North America.

I dont know much ab out Jandy except that they make good stuff. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

And last, if you ever want to automate your pool system, all of your equipment needs to be the same brand so they all hae the same comms protocol and can talk to the controller

I've had my pool 14 years of all the gimmick stuff, snake oils the SWG by far was the biggest waste of money on the pool I've spent. Common sense your going to drop about 1K, way before you make that cost up on chlorine savings your cell will go out and have to be replace it $$$. 1K will buy a lot of chlorine. What I do is put salt pool keep it at about 2500 I’m not generating chlorine. I refer to my SWG as my $1000 thermometer. BTW TFP was the biggest saving on my pool cost.

Not understanding why you see NO value in SWG. We had a Salt water pool in MN and appreciated the simplicity of maintaining the clear water without algae. We attributed it to our SWG.
Just moved to south GA and new pool build happened this week. Currently working to remove iron (fire hydrant was source of water and expelled fair amount of rust into our new pool. It is beginning to clear with use of 24/7 pool pump use.

I've had my pool 14 years of all the gimmick stuff, snake oils the SWG by far was the biggest waste of money on the pool I've spent. Common sense your going to drop about 1K, way before you make that cost up on chlorine savings your cell will go out and have to be replace it $$$. 1K will buy a lot of chlorine. What I do is put salt pool keep it at about 2500 I’m not generating chlorine. I refer to my SWG as my $1000 thermometer. BTW TFP was the biggest saving on my pool cost.

I have never met anyone who didn't love going from chlorine to a SWG.
Nice to meet someone!

My experience is the exact opposite. I’ve had my pool 12 years. A Hayward AQR15 (40k) SWG was included in the build. My first cell lasted 7.5 years and cost $500 to replace. Since, the way you pay for chlorine in a salt pool is cell replacement, that makes my chlorine cost $67 per year ($500/7.5=$66.66). I did have one problem with the controller, but a $1.50 part and 15 min with a soldering iron put that right.

If my SWG blew up today I would order a new one tomorrow. In fact, without SWG, I don’t think I would have a pool.

If my SWG blew up today I would order a new one tomorrow. In fact, without SWG, I don’t think I would have a pool.

Amen brother!

Because of our SWG being up and running, SKippy and I were able to get away for 17 days vacation earlier this year and come home to a sparkling clear pool. What price convenience!??!

Maddie :flower:

So I have the Aqua Rite Goldline about ten years old. 1st year the turbo cell was bad they did replace it, second year it worked OK but never really generated enough chlorine the factory rep had every excuse why, 3rd year the determined the circuit board was bad they did replace it. The reps exact words were I've never seen a bad board, he must have just started that week. After that it never worked well and finally gave out and I gave up on it. Yes I had the cell checked, yes I replaced the thermistor. None of this worked so yes I'm not a fan of the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have the Aqua Rite Goldline about ten years old. 1st year the turbo cell was bad they did replace it, second year it worked OK but never really generated enough chlorine the factory rep had every excuse why, 3rd year the determined the circuit board was bad they did replace it. The reps exact words were I've never seen a bad board, he must have just started that week. After that it never worked well and finally gave out and I gave up on it. Yes I had the cell checked, yes I replaced the thermistor. None of this worked so yes I'm not a fan of the SWG.

Your Aqua Rite Goldline was a lemon 10 years ago so the conclusion is all SWG's are bad. You should give the Pentair IC60 a try should you get tired of lugging chlorine bottles. You may be surprised how SWG's have improved in the last 10 years.

It stinks you had a bad experience, but SWCGs are hardly “snakeoil”.

We’ve had a SWCG since day one (Aqua Rite, installed 2004; our 1st and only pool) ) and I wouldn’t have a pool without one. I love the convenience.

I calculated how much our SWCG has cost vs what liquid chlorine would have cost over the past 15 seasons, including initial cost, salt, replacing cells, and repairs (there’s been one repair needed) repairs, and it came out close to the same.

I learned proper use and pool care/water balance are critical to successful SWCG use. Using pool store methods the first few seasons before I found these forums, I might have almost agreed with you then. Pool store methods made the pool harder to keep algae free and the first cell died prematurely from improper use. Since using the methods taught here, it’s been a much better experience (second cell lasted 7 years).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.