pool pump will not stop running.

mtintn

May 31, 2016
Cedar Hill, TN
I have a fully hayward system that is automated and has been working fine. Recently I noticed the pump was still running outside of the timer setting. The system showed the
pump was off but it wasn't. It wouldn't respond to the on/off button so I selected the service mode which should turn off everything, but the pump kept running. Only way to
shut off the pump is with the breaker. Any ideas of where the problem might be. I also just replaced the circuit board because of a no cell power 2 issue however the
pump problem started before the board change and continued just the same after. Thanks.

This happened to me earlier this year and after lots of troubleshooting (installing a new timer)... I realized the temperature gauge was off and it was basically making my pump stay on due to the temperature dropping. Don't know if you have a freeze control box (or whatever it is called).... but I would start there.... I wish I would have.

tin,

Assuming you have a single speed pump, then it should be one of two things.. Either the system is in freeze control, or the pump/filter relay in your automation is frozen shut.

My guess is freeze control, but assuming it is not, then to test the relay, just unplug the coil wire. If the pump stops the main board is telling the relay to close.. If the pump continues to run with the relay unplugged, then the relay is bad.

The above is NOT true if you have a VS pump.. VS pumps have their own freeze control settings and are attached to constant AC..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure how to know if it is stuck in freeze mode. The remote shows the water and air temperature and seem to be correct. Also the remote normally shows the filter on
and says freeze protection when that is the mode it is in. I would like to do the relay check but am not sure physically where that is and what it looks like. I also have a spa pump and a cleaner
booster pump in the mix. I have learned a lot from this site and would like to figure this out if you can guide me in the right direction. Thanks.

tin,

Post a pic of your automation system, with the door open and the panel covering the circuit breakers removed.

A couple of questions for you... Do you have a voltmeter??? Please confirm that you have a single speed main pump..

If the system were in freeze control, in most cases it would be set up to switch between the pool and spa every 15 minutes or so.. If it is not switching the valves, then most likely it is not in freeze control mode. And certainly should not be in freeze control in the afternoon when the air temp is in the 70's..

Thanks,

Jim R.

IMG_20181203_093114427.jpg Yes I have a voltmeter and it is a single speed main pump. When in freeze mode it does cycle between pool and spa and that is not happening in this case.
When I turn off the pool pump with the circuit breaker after the system shows it is already off, I can leave it off for a little while and then flip the circuit breaker back on and
the pump will not start running again until the timer turns it back on. This morning when I went out to flip the circuit breaker off (system showed it was off but was still running)
I could hear the pump stuttering as if it was trying to turn off but couldn't. I agree that it seems like a stuck relay but (not being an electrician) I am not 100% sure which
component it is that needs replacing and exactly what to ask for if I was trying to buy a new one. Thanks for the help and patience and I hope the pic helps.

Tin,

The simplest thing for you to do would be to turn the power to the panel off, and then remove the Aux5 relay and use it to replace the Pump/Filter relay.

The Aux 5 relay is not being used. If it fixes the problem, just throw the old relay away, no need to reinstall it at Aux 5..

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Note... the relay coil has two wires (Most likely red and black) that get plugged into the main board. Swap both the relay and the attached coil wiring cable.

Thank you so much for the information and guidance. I swapped out the pool pump relay with the unused one in the box and everything is back to
working normally. The answer was the sticking relay.

Tin, glad it worked for you - it would help if you posted all you equipment in your signature like Jim and I. this provides the information needed to help better troubleshoot your issues and prevents the forum members from asking you the same equip type questions...good luck, tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had this problem years ago with a Compool relay, pump would not turn off unless I turned off the breaker. Before waiting to get a new relay, I was able to wack the breaker with a sharp blow with a screwdriver handle and the pump stopped. After years of on/off cycling with a heavy load (2 hp single speed pump) the relay contacts "welded" themselves together. This convinced me to always have a spare relay available. These days, I have a Pentair VS pump so no need for any relays to have to handle any high current items.

... Before waiting to get a new relay, I was able to wack the breaker with a sharp blow with a screwdriver handle and the pump stopped. ...

Wack the breaker or the stuck relay?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.