Appreciating TFP

Oct 21, 2018
Chico/CA
Hello, I'm a recent convert to TFP and wanted to thank you friendly and helpful folks for literally saving my skin. I had developed a severe rash and had been to a Dermatologist several times. Tried different laundry detergents, soaps, shampoos, threw away my clothes and bought new ones. I suspected the spa but I was doing the same thing for 20 years with no problems. I was using the cheap OTO test which always showed chlorine but it was all combined chlorine. CYA was off the charts since the pool stores kept telling me to keep adding Dichlor. What I hadn't accounted for was that my girl friend was now using the tub as much as I was and I just couldn't add enough Dichlor to sanitize. I'm all better now thanks to you guys setting me straight. Actually I've become somewhat obsessed with water chemistry now and sometimes test several times a day.

WHAT??? That is awesome you figured it out! I want to make sure I understand what was what.....

Before you used the OTO test. That is the drop, color test for FC. Once you started using the Taylor K2006 you found out you had CC, lots of CC from the sounds of it AND your CYA was high. Once you found that out you were able to clean and balance your water.

Did I get that right?

Now let me ask you this. When was the last time you cleaned your pipes? I have a thread for you to read: Ahh-some goes head to head with oh yuk Some thing else to think about.

THANKS for sharing your success with TFP and good testing!

Kim:kim:

Yes, that's what happened. I also didn't know about TA or Borates or hardness. The pool stores said that stuff didn't matter. I now have everything pretty well balanced and my water is crystal clear and feels great. I have never cleaned my pipes and not sure they need it. I had to take apart my plumbing to fix some leaks and everything inside the pipes looked spotlessly clean. It took me a couple weeks to get everything dialed in but now it's just a small amount of bleach after use each day.