Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

We have no air/bubbles coming into our spa. There is no problem with water coming through. I have tried a number of things and will try to be as specific as possible in case someone can help. Thanks!

The pool is 20,000 gallons and the spa is 650 gallons. The spa is slightly higher than the pool with two shelves/waterfalls into the pool for overflow. When we moved in the person who inspected the spa said the jet action was weak. At that time we had a 1.5hp pump which we changed out to an intelliflo pump shortly after.

Over the years we have had times where we had some bubbles, although weak even when the intelliflo was set to 3300 rpm. At other times we had no bubble at all. I sometimes thought it had to do with when the solar valves were open, or when the spa valve was set to heat from the floor or the jets. But I was never able to figure it out.

In 2016 we had our pool replastered. I have not been able to get the jets to work since then, although I quite certain there is no obstruction.

The air pipe is about 3-4 feet high and right next to the pool equipment, and the spa is on the other side of the yard, about 30 feet or so. The air pipe has water in it and when I turn off the spa jets sometimes the water comes up and out the pipe for a moment.

Using the advice I could find on this site, I partially drained the spa, removed the six gunite nozzles and the one pulsator, and uses a blower to empty all the water from the pipe. I plugged each hole one by one to increase the pressure and blew out the pipe. There was no water left in the pipe after doing this and no debris came out of any of the holes, only water. I refilled the spa and turned on the jets. I started to hear that old familiar rumbling noise and they started to bubble (like an old car engine trying to turn over) before dying. Since that I am back to no bubbles.

I am thinking about replacing the nozzles and the pulsator in case they are failing in some way that might cause a loss of air pressure, but the nozzles looked ok, the holes had no obstruction and the pulsator does spin from the water coming out of it (although no air).

At this point I am at a loss and really hoping it is not a leak or crack in the air pipe somewhere. I am thinking that since it worked intermittently that there might be something else, although again, there appears to be no blockage other than the water in the pipe.

Thanks for any advice!

The air pipe is about 3-4 feet high and right next to the pool equipment, and the spa is on the other side of the yard, about 30 feet or so. The air pipe has water in it and when I turn off the spa jets sometimes the water comes up and out the pipe for a moment.

Do you have a spa blower at the top of the air pipe?

No, there is no blower. We never had one even when we had bubbles before.

Then your problem is different then jasonic. He has an air blower.

You are relying on venturi action from your spa jets pulling air in with the water flow. I would focus on your spa jets. The water and air comes together right behind the spa jet socket. You may have the wrong spa jets for your spa. The spa jets may not be inserted properly. There are many types of spa jets and sockets. Post pics of your spa jets when removed and the wall outlets. Maybe someone will recognize something.

This explains the basic operation of a venturi spa jet - Spa Jet Basics

Then your problem is different then jasonic. He has an air blower.

You are relying on venturi action from your spa jets pulling air in with the water flow. I would focus on your spa jets. The water and air comes together right behind the spa jet socket. You may have the wrong spa jets for your spa. The spa jets may not be inserted properly. There are many types of spa jets and sockets. Post pics of your spa jets when removed and the wall outlets. Maybe someone will recognize something.

This explains the basic operation of a venturi spa jet - Spa Jet Basics

I removed the spa jets and checked for any obstructions, also blew out the air pipe. Seemed like it was going to start up but could not get going. There are six nozzles 217-1080 (I think Waterway) and one pulsator 215-1087/215/1070.

These are the same jets that worked when we moved in in 2009. I tightened each of them so I know they are inserted properly.

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much for your thoughts. I am struggling with this one, hoping it's not something with the air pipe itself.

I have tried multiple rpms but we have it set to 3000-3300 rpm.

I would run it at max rpm. A venturi needs a strong water flow to pull the air.

Do you think you lost the bubbles when you intalled the Intelliflo pump?

I wonder if your water flow rate is not compatible with your venturis.

Does the back of your nozzle have ports in the rear to mate to the water and air lines in the socket? Remove the nozzles and post pics of the nozzles.

I would run it at max rpm. A venturi needs a strong water flow to pull the air.

Do you think you lost the bubbles when you intalled the Intelliflo pump?

I wonder if your water flow rate is not compatible with your venturis.

Does the back of your nozzle have ports in the rear to mate to the water and air lines in the socket? Remove the nozzles and post pics of the nozzles.

They worked after the intelliflo was installed. I have tried max rpm but no bubbles. The nozzles are 217-1080.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are pulling no air through the standpipe it is most likely plugged. Do you have a screen over the end of it to keep critters out of it?

If you are pulling no air through the standpipe it is most likely plugged. Do you have a screen over the end of it to keep critters out of it?

Yes, there is a cover. Also I was able to partially drain the spa and use a blower to empty the water from the pipe and air could be heard so I don't think it's an obstruction.

- - - Updated - - -

Please create a signature with the details of your pool and spa. Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

You have a VS pump? What speed do you run your pump in the spa?

Very sorry. I will create the appropriate signature. Thank you for letting me know.

If your standpipe can move air, then the issue is the nozzles. Check that o-rings are in place and not rolled off.

If your standpipe can move air, then the issue is the nozzles. Check that o-rings are in place and not rolled off.

I will take a look at that. Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a pic from the Internet and not a pic of your nozzles.

Need to see the rear of your nozzles and what it looks like.

Ok, I understand. I will work on getting you that picture as soon as I can drain the spa again and take a look. Do you think it would be worth trying to replace the nozzles with new ones?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.