Long SLAM, 17 Days & Counting

So glad you have a concrete reason for the “loss.” Congratulations!

And just to reiterate, though you’ve probably got it now, you need to add your final dose, let it mix for 30 minutes, and TEST AGAIN! You have to have that starting number for the OCLT from your test kit, not from pool math. The liquid chlorine strength is an estimate, and you only know exactly how many ppm you’ve added once you test.

Good job on finding the computer glitch, by the way. Looking forward to better results soon!

I know what you mean about having a sunny day to test CYA. They’ve been few and far between since Labor Day. I’ve run my last couple of tests in the laundry room since it’s the lighting that gave me similar results to the sun back when we had that. When the sun returns you might run a CYA test outside and then just reuse the same sample to find a place in your house that produces similar results. It seems kind of like overkill, but I get the sense that you might like overkill, and it has been reassuring to me to have an indoor test spot to see what over 2 feet of rain has done to my pool chemistry. (In my case it was good because it brought my CH down.)

On the positive side, think of all the excellent knowledge you've gained! Many of us have made errors like that but as my Dad always said "it's not what you do to mess up, but how you recover that's important". Go get 'em Caracat. I think we’ll get some sun today. Finally!

No slapping, but some serious poking. :poke: :whip: Ha ha.

Okay, so now we can re-group and start over somewhat. Now that you've adjusted the FC correctly, let's see what your CYA reads on the next sunny day. I think it prudent to give the process a bit more time to react appropriately based on your …… revelation. :angel:

At the very least, thanks for the laugh this evening. Now let's get that pool in shape. Keep us posted tomorrow.

I still can't believe this is real. All that testing, recording & precision for the wrong pool size! :hammer:
Pretty stupid! But what a relief... because I was starting to go a bit nuts. :brickwall:
After getting FC to 24 @ 7:00PM yesterday, it was down to 23.5 @ 7:30 this morning! I retested it 5 times to be sure!
I passed the OCLT!
CCs measure .5
I am within SLAM stopping requirements!
But as the sun is supposed to come out this afternoon I am definitely going to retest CYA before calling this a done deal. With all the rain we've had it has likely gone down at least a little.
I would dance or something if I weren't the world's worst dancer! Celebratory jumping jacks! :party:

dbtgallery.php

Cara Cara
I imagine that you would like to throw that laptop or tablet in the pool after you discovered your mistake. But doing so will raise your copper and plastic and aluminum readings in the water, so don't do it. Anger = laughter = anger = laughter. It's funny and oxymoronic that your testing and the recording of those numbers is so precise and timely and methodical, and yet you had the pool quantity wrong. It's as if a rocket scientist messed up his microwave time for heating popcorn. I'm sure that from now on you will be more....Cara ful.
Anyway. Come on sun - light up her pool.

I've battled leaks twice now after failing bucket tests both times. I ended up hiring a local pool-leak company that came out to discover it. They plugged all the return holes, and used a syringe with colored dye to test each suction point. The first time, they discovered that the neck of the coupling at the wall where you attach the suction hose was loose and water slowly seeped through there. I was able to see the gel-like stream of food dye get sucked in right by the coupling. But there was no way that I would see the place of the leak on my own.
So. You might not be able to detect it all on your own unless you own the rubber plugs used to seal the return holes. Good luck and take cara.

I used the wrong reagent with testing my FC a while back.
Only a few days ago I took my boost pump that runs the heat pump out so a builder could install a vent behind it. Once I got the pump back in and turned on I wondered why it was running 24/7 when it usually turns itself off after it reaches temp. Two days of running non stop later I realised I’d plugged it in to a regular outdoor power point rather than the point on the underside of the heat pump controller box.

Haha, thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one! :crazy:

Re: Long SLAM, 17 Days & Counting

So glad you have a concrete reason for the “loss.” Congratulations!

And just to reiterate, though you’ve probably got it now, you need to add your final dose, let it mix for 30 minutes, and TEST AGAIN!

When the sun returns you might run a CYA test outside and then just reuse the same sample to find a place in your house that produces similar results.

Added the final dose. Had a dental appointment and could not test 30 mins later, but 6 hours and 45 minutes later it was only down 1.5 PPM since my last addition. I think I'm truly done!

Oh, GREAT idea on the indoor CYA test spot! We just had sun for about an hour, and I finally got a test done, and I still have the liquid right here!

- - - Updated - - -

Many of us have made errors like that but as my Dad always said "it's not what you do to mess up, but how you recover that's important". Go get 'em Caracat. I think we’ll get some sun today. Finally!

Your dad is right. I might be a goofus, but now I know a LOT more about algae, reagents, Julian dates, light niches, filter cleaning, etc!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure that from now on you will be more....Cara ful.

I've battled leaks twice now after failing bucket tests both times. I ended up hiring a local pool-leak company that came out to discover it.

You know it! I have not yet started the bucket test. I keep needing to run the vac for pine needles, and I know that would knock it off. If my numbers still look great tomorrow morning, I'll remove the vac and give it a go. Thanks for the info!

This SLAM is OVER! :cheers: Here are my final numbers:
Oct 25 7:35 AM

FC 23.5 (Only .5 lost overnight!)
CC .5
CH 275
TA 100
CYA 40 (Was 55, loss probably due to lots of rain & couple backwashes, but still need to check for leaks)
I brought it up to 24 one last time after testing this AM, and it's still holding quite well.

Last 2 things:
1)Now that I can finally let the FC drop. With a CYA of 40 my target is 5-7, minimum 3. Does that mean I should shoot for daily additions that bring my FC to 7?
2)The light niche still looks terrible. Is there a product I can use to fix it that y'all would recommend (preferably that does not require draining) Or should we get a professional for that? If yes to the latter, please LMK if you know any good companies in Houston area. I've already dealt with a few awful ones.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! I can live again! :lovetfp:

Yes Cara, just let the FC fall to the normal recommended daily range and monitor it there from then on. As for the light cover, I found one or two online, but they seemed to be manufacture specific, and not sure if they would work for your application. You might try calling InyoPools to see if they have something. If you do learn that the light niche is leaking, you may want to have someone work on it next season (if not a bad leak) …. unless you have cold water divers locally. :snorkle: The only two options that comes to mind are additional sealant material applied to the mess already there (probably not ideal), or a total replacement of that niche which I'm sure would be a bit costly. Not an easy task. But a pool tech in your area may have a local solution to help get you by for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for this thread! Future pool owner here trying to learn what I can before the fun starts — I loved the twist ending! I was actually thinking oh, man. This pool chemistry thing looks kind of maddening. I’m not sure I want to get into this! So it was a relief to see Cara’s revelation at the end. Congratulations! So glad that it worked out. I’m still a little confused about how not using enough chlorine = too much chlorine consumption…. If she just continued at the low chlorine level, would she eventually have passed her overnight chlorine loss test? Or was it really a matter of getting the free chlorine above a certain level to do the work it needed to do? Kind of like stopping antibiotics too soon or taking the wrong dose?

Thanks again! So much to learn...

Caracat

Glad to see you have the problem solved
nfl7bl.jpg

I have a D.E. 15k gunite pool which was re-plastered in March of this year. The pool history has been great, in 'cruise' mode almost all of the time since switching to TFP methodology (Bleach / CYA-FC ratio maint) in June 2014 .

I'm using what is basically a Taylor K-2006 kit. I only test FC using the R-0870 / R-0871 test items & I use the 'Speedstir' (a great testing tool).

I just completed a 6.5 week SLAM.

My #'s prior to starting the SLAM:

CYA : 50
pH : 7.6

My D.E. PSI & Flow Gauges were displaying normal readings, no indications of an issue with the Grids. I Backwashed once during the SLAM procedure.

It was a long journey but I was hampered by a lot of rain in Dallas during the SLAM process. I admit I was starting to doubt the methodology about halfway through my SLAM. The water cleared up perfectly. I was seeing the OCLT trend down, getting close to passing, then it would go back up. OCLT #'s during the SLAM :

1.0 (repeated test to insure 2 overnight pass tests)

I think I was battling an organic issue with my Pecan Tree which overhangs part of my pool. Although the tree's been there for many years & I've always had some pecan debris (due to squirrels) fall into the pool yearly in September, this year I had much more debris & tree sap falling from the tree than the usual amount in past years. I had to change out my Sweep Bag 2-3 times a day at one point due to the amount of Pecan debris in the pool. This is the 1st season I've had to change the Bag out that frequently due to Pecan debris in the pool. I think the reason for the unusually large about of Pecans is the rain resulted in the tree responding with a large pecan drop & a larger then normal amount of sap secretion going into the pool.

I've had to SLAM twice since switching to TFP methods in June 2014. I did the 1st SLAM about the same time last year. The duration was 4 days. Since both SLAM's were required about the same time (late Aug - Sept), I'm almost certain the issue is with my Pecan Tree. I've trimmed it back over the pool area to see if that helps next year.

The lesson I learned with this long SLAM is to "never give up" :). Perhaps this is just me, but the hardest part of maintaining a pool is about a 'mental' thing; to see the pool with crystal clear water but still having an issue that can't be visually seen. That's what happened during this SLAM. The water initially got cloudy with a simultaneous increase in FC depletion. During the 1st half of the SLAM, the water cleared up to perfect clarity but I knew the SLAM wasn't complete as the OCLT was still failing. Interestingly, the CC test was passing (I don't get that part).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.